Need a slap in the face IPA to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steber

Reaction score
Maybe you all can help me out over here. I've been trying different IPA's trying to find one that I'd like to clone with no luck. Every IPA I've tried just isn't what I'm looking for. The closest thing I've found that might cut it is port brewing aniversary ale.

I've brewed Yoopers 60 min clone and really liked it. Wanted to try something differnt though, I'm looking for a IPA that from popping the top to first swig is just overwhelmed with hops. a Nice piney/floral resiny taste is what i'm looking for. Nothing too grassy or malty, something that really lets the hops shine through. Is a pliney the elder a good choice or any other ideas?

Pliny is great. Farmhousebrewingsupply.com just put some "pliny packs" up yesterday that make it way easier, and cheaper to clone it.

Do you know the grain bill on that one? I see the receipe on the site, It just gives percentages not how many lbs. Compared to my LHBS It might just be cheaper for me to pick up the whole kit that they sell for $32.. Also, do you know if they are whole hops or pellets?

They are pellets. Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and don't have the recipe with me. Are you doing extract or AG?

I'm doing All Grain. Did you brew this yet? or will it be your first time. Just wondering how much gets soaked up in the boil and secondary with all the hop additions.

I have not brewed it yet, but I do have the hop pack. One of my brothers brewed it awhile back, which is where I got to try it. Typically when I do a beer with large amounts of hops like this I setup the recipe for a 6 gallon batch to account for losses to hops, and end up with at least 5 gallons of finished product. I'm sure if you emailed FHBS he could fill you in on what the kit is scaled for. Their customer service is extremely helpful.

I just did a Pliny clone and it was really good wonderful hop aroma. Here is the recipe I used:

13 lbs 2-row
1lb- carapils
.5 lb c40
1 lb dextrose

Mash low 149-151 till mashout.

2.25 oz CTZ @ 90
.5 oz CTZ @ 45
.75 oz simcoe @ 30
.75 oz centennial @ 1
1.75 oz simcoe @ 1

Dry hop 1 oz of each (CTZ, simcoe, centennial) for 14 days, then .25 oz of each for 7.

I have not brewed it yet, but I do have the hop pack. One of my brothers brewed it awhile back, which is where I got to try it. Typically when I do a beer with large amounts of hops like this I setup the recipe for a 6 gallon batch to account for losses to hops, and end up with at least 5 gallons of finished product. I'm sure if you emailed FHBS he could fill you in on what the kit is scaled for. Their customer service is extremely helpful.

Thats what I did for my last ipa for about a gallon loss to the hops, I'm just wondering if this paticular kit that comes with grains accounts for the hop loss. I shot them an email, so we shall see.

I'm assuming since there recipe calls for 8 gallon gross volume in kettle and a 90 min boil that you would assume through some commonly used assumtions you should boil off to right around 6 gallons.

Back