Sabco Kettles and Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
So, as I prep for brewing my first batch in my sabco keggle, and read the instructions about using teflon tape, etc on the threads for the stainless ball valve and thermometer, I'm noticing that there already appears to be teflon tape on the threads (it's a white coating, somewhat slippery). Do I need to add more. Also, what about sanitizing these implements? Do I wait to install them write before I start heating up water in it? Is it really necessary,to have a barbed nipple to attach to the end of ball valve for tubing to drain into primary?

brackbrew said:
So, as I prep for brewing my first batch in my sabco keggle, and read the instructions about using teflon tape, etc on the threads for the stainless ball valve and thermometer, I'm noticing that there already appears to be teflon tape on the threads (it's a white coating, somewhat slippery). Do I need to add more. Also, what about sanitizing these implements? Do I wait to install them write before I start heating up water in it? Is it really necessary,to have a barbed nipple to attach to the end of ball valve for tubing to drain into primary?

I have a sabco kettle, and i sanitize everything. I guess with the heat and all it might be ok, but to be sure i would. Especially to get any grit or stainless steel dust. Take a piece of toilet paper and rub it on the inside of the valve, if it comes out clean i wouldnt worry about it. Yes thats teflon tape on there, but i would make sure it will hold a seal before you start brewing. I usually keep my valve and extra parts sanitized in a ziplock baggy until its time to brew then i put them on, just a matter of preference. yes the barb nipple is important for attaching tubing. How would you attach the tubing without one? If you have another way i would like to hear it, that would of saved me about 5 bucks a nipple for ss. Hope this helps

usmcruz said:
Yes thats teflon tape on there, but i would make sure it will hold a seal before you start brewing. I usually keep my valve and extra parts sanitized in a ziplock baggy until its time to brew then i put them on, just a matter of preference

Will I need to put on new teflon tape each time I take those parts off to clean and sanitize?

juct check them before each brew session. if the the tape is breaking down, just re-wrap. i sanitize my brew kettles too (converted kegs). i am a cleaning/sanitation freak. it's too much work and time to lose a brew to some nasties :~)

brackbrew said:
Will I need to put on new teflon tape each time I take those parts off to clean and sanitize?

Yes, I would take the old tape off and replace it before a brewing session. I go through a roll of tape a month, but its worth it.

Backbrew, I have the sabco kettle as a brew pot myself and I have never taken the ball valve off for sanitation. I initially used teflon tape to put the nipple and valve on and it has never leaked. I have done many batches in this kettle and never had a contamination issue (knock on wood). IMO the heat will sanitize the equipment. I am more concerned over ruining the threads on a one hundred dollar keg from Sabco due to repeated assembly and dis-assembly. Everything downstream of the valve connects using a stainless compression fitting so I do take that and the attached hose off and sanitize that. I agree with other sanitation 'freaks' that you can't be too sanitary so if you are comfortable with taking it all apart every time, I wouldn't advise you otherwise just don't gall those threads!.

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
Backbrew, I have the sabco kettle as a brew pot myself and I have never taken the ball valve off for sanitation. I initially used teflon tape to put the nipple and valve on and it has never leaked. I have done many batches in this kettle and never had a contamination issue (knock on wood). IMO the heat will sanitize the equipment. I am more concerned over ruining the threads on a one hundred dollar keg from Sabco due to repeated assembly and dis-assembly. Everything downstream of the valve connects using a stainless compression fitting so I do take that and the attached hose off and sanitize that. I agree with other sanitation 'freaks' that you can't be too sanitary so if you are comfortable with taking it all apart every time, I wouldn't advise you otherwise just don't gall those threads!.

galling the threads is caused by using no teflon tape or not enough. going on 4 and a half years now, and no thread damage. got to take it apart at least once every one to two brews to get any nasty's hiding in the cracks

usmcruz said:
galling the threads is caused by using no teflon tape

The welding of the female coupling on the kegs can warp the threads and then subsequent assembly could lead to galling. The first time I put my setup together, it was very tough to get the nipple in. It was hard turning all the way as a nylon lock nut is to thread onto a bolt. I had to ease it in and out bit by bit and use lots of lubrication to keep from galling the threads. Now that it is done, it may have straightened it out somewhat and it would be easier, but I will leave well enough alone. I was concerned over the sanitation at first but fortunately have had no issues so far.

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
The welding of the female coupling on the kegs can warp the threads and then subsequent assembly could lead to galling. The first time I put my setup together, it was very tough to get the nipple in. It was hard turning all the way as a nylon lock nut is to thread onto a bolt. I had to ease it in and out bit by bit and use lots of lubrication to keep from galling the threads. Now that it is done, it may have straightened it out somewhat and it would be easier, but I will leave well enough alone. I was concerned over the sanitation at first but fortunately have had no issues so far.

if you buy another kettle like that and the threads cause a tough assemble then take a half round fine file, and make a couple light passes all the way around the inside of the threads. I had this happen to me with a coupling i bought, but after a couple of passes it goes on smooth. Just food for thought

I have done 25 brews without taking my brew kettle appart....think about you are boiling at 220+ for an hour atleast...metal conducts heat( don't believe me, touch it after about 30 min into the boil), that nipple is heat sanitized during the brewing process. I would say there is no need to break it down all the time.

robmee said:
I have done 25 brews without taking my brew kettle appart....think about you are boiling at 220+ for an hour atleast...metal conducts heat( don't believe me, touch it after about 30 min into the boil), that nipple is heat sanitized during the brewing process. I would say there is no need to break it down all the time.

Ok I here your point but think about this. On your down time when your not brewing, that kettle cools down and wort and nasties that get trapped in nooks and crannies that you cant get out with just washing grow stuff. Ok I know that your going to say next, but i heat up my kettle and it should kill all the nasties i didnt get, right. No wrong. There is bacteria that will survive a good deal of heat. here is a small article on the subject, enjoy

Bacteria, the heat is on...

08/09/2003-

Discovering genetic fingerprints of heat-beating micro-organisms could bring us closer to understanding why some foods spoil and how bacteria manage to survive heat treatments.
In a food science initiative supported by the Dutch government, researchers from Amsterdam university have been looking at the way the Bacillus group of bacteria can produce exceptionally heat resistant spores. These spores can survive the processes meant to kill them, like pasteurisation, and go on to grow, multiply and contaminate our food.

I also use two Sabco kegs (and a homemade coorse keg conversion). My only concerns regarding sanitation revolve around my pump head and tubing. I probably should consider the QDs, but I figure that by the time I boil and whirlpool I've pretty well killed off and nasties in the loop. I try to finish my brewing with about 5 gal. of boiling water in the HLT that I circulate through the entire fluid path (pump, hoses, valves and CFC) to clean 'em up. The pump head does get removed after each brew so it doesn't freeze with water in it. As for disassembling the keg fittings, that had been my original plan but the numbskull that welded my extra fittings trashed the threads so badly that I hope I'll never have to take anything apart. That's a long story I won't tell without several beers in me.

I usually let the kettle soak in PBW, may not be the right thing to do but it does come out nice and clean. If not soaking the kettle is upside down on the burner. Just cause something can survive doesn't mean it will (I have a chance to win the lotto but it don't mean I will). I guess what I am getting at is that just relax and have a home brew, sanitized is not sterile you will get something in it at sometime or another (it is impossible not to). Just make sure to rinse your kettle well after each brew and that will cut down on the worry.

Some of you people take charlie papazian saying literally, "relax and have a homebrew". He means relax and dont worry so much, but clean your s**t. The new saying should be "Relax and have a glass of fermented ebola virus". Maybe not the ebola virus but a nasty infection. If you got money to waste go for it, and "relax" on your sanitation. This is also the guy that tells us to sanitize with a weak household bleach. "BLEACH!!" I think he's been drinking his own product too much. cheers

Back