Apple cider flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mappler

Reaction score
I have my first brew on tap now. It has a distinctive apple cider flavor. It is not unpleasant, but not what I would consider a typical beer flavor.

I brewed the Brewer's Best European Boch. I fermented it at ale temperatures for 21 days. I had constant gravity readings for 5 days at 1.022. I kegged it, chilled it, and force carbed it.

I have read in other post what causes this flavor. However, it seems the solution is to allow the yeast to work for a while longer to "clean up". However, I have already chilled it for a week.

1) Anything I can do here?
2) What should I have done differently?

Thank you,
Matt

Green apple flavors are usually from acetylaldehyde which can form a couple of different ways. You could have underpitched your yeast, not given enough time in primary or not fully oxygenated your wort. If you have already kegged it there is nothing left to do but hope that it fades with time.

Kegging at 1.022 seems pretty high...even though the gravity reading was stable, the yeast could have stalled out and just quit working...if you want to try to fix it, you could bleed off the excess CO2, rack back into another vessel and re-pitch some of the same yeast species. Or you could just chalk it up to lesson learned and improve on the next batch.
-Jefe-

Back