What hop variety do I have??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxwrench

Reaction score
I just recently moved into a new home and just so happens there are a lot of hops growing in the backyard on the lattice. How can I find out what species I have, the previous owner does not know either. Any help would be appreciated.

If you're having trouble finding info, try doing a forum search before posting 3 threads with the same question.

You could post some pics here... some hops look pretty distinctive. Or try a beer with them.

Don't worry about it... the mods might clean it up if they're bored. Let's just keep it to this thread.

Honestly, so many hops look so similar that your best bet might be to brew a simple SMaSH pale ale and take it to a BJCP judge for an educated guess.

Take lots and lots of pictures. Include pics that show the entire plant as well as detailed close ups of the leaves and hop cones and someone can help you sort them out.

Or just brew with some and see what they contribute to the flavor!

Send roughly a pound to me and i will do a detailed analysis to try and help you determine what they are. PM for address. :)

mxwrench said:
I just recently moved into a new home and just so happens there are a lot of hops growing in the backyard on the lattice. How can I find out what species I have, the previous owner does not know either. Any help would be appreciated.

You harvest them, mail them to me, I brew with them, and then tell you. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Back