dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrizzo

Reaction score
does it matter if i leave the hops in my secondary for a really long time...like a month?

i left my hops on the beer for 3 and it was fine. but be careful if you wait to long the taste will become grassy. not sure how long it takes for that to happen but a month should be ok.

the answer is, "it depends" there are way to many variables to know exactly how long you can dry hop before you start extracting flavors you don't want.

The same bet would be to not dry hop that long or it will be an experiment on whether it will bring vegatabal or grassy flavors in or not. I have dry hopped for 3 weeks too, but it was at a lower temp, like 55-60 and it turned out fine but I wouldn't do that at 70.

I believe it is a combo of temp and variety but probably more dependent on variety so you probably picked a variety that is not as susceptible to giving bad flavors :)

I just don't like to gamble when I worked so hard to get it to that point.

Back