Airlock problem... is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a first time brewer and I started my batch last night. When I put the airlock on my fermenter some of the sanitation solution leaked into the bucket. The solution was water with a some powder sanitizer dissolved in it? Maybe a tablespoon and and a half leaked into the bucket. Is my beer ruined. I checked the brew this morning and it is fermenting, the air lock is moving around like I think it is supposed to, but will a little bit of that sanitizer solution ruin my beer? Thanks.

If it's fermenting along, then it's not ruined.

A lot of people use vodka in their airlocks in case just such a thing happens.

What kind of sanitizer was it, just out of curiosity?

If you're using StarSan, it won't do anything to your brew. Being a "no rinse" sanitizer, it is meant to be fine with your brew in this type of situation. Most of my carboys still have a bit of StarSan bubbles in it when I rack to a secondary. Never experienced any type of off flavors due to this...

Beyond the given answers of "you're fine" (which you are) one of the reasons you'll get suck back is the temperature differential. Make sure you get your wort cooled down to room temp before pitching and closing up. :mug:

Back