is it supposed to look like that?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acewing2006

Reaction score
9027_1243819369697_1055756169_754690_1836895_n.jpg

made this today, generic wheat ale beer but i added some irish moss at the end because im going to add apple cider when i rack it.

its only a day old but the beer looks like its sperated where i can see the sediment on the bottom, dark brown liquid near the bottom and the rest is kinda hazy goldish yellow. did i screw up:confused:

p.s. im a first time brewer

That's weird. I've never seen anything like that before and I can't even come up with a reasonable guess as to what might be going on.

But... don't freak out and dump it or anything. Beer can do some weird a$$ stuff when it's fermenting, so maybe all is well and your beer is just going through a phase. :D

I admit that it does look a little scary, but as "Walker-san" mentioned time does wonders with beer. Good luck and keep us posted if possible..

I see three layers, 1 sediment, 2 dark, and 3 light.

Are you sure the 2nd level is alot darker than the 3rd ? Cuz that would be abit wierd. Tell us what ingredients you used, how long you mashed for, and at what temperature ? How long was your boil ?

Also when you finished your boil and cooled, did you properly rack back into the carboy or carelessly ?

Did you hop without a moslin bag? I have had sediment like that top layer in my boil kettle before from hopping with no moslin. Looks kinda like baby vomit.

Wow, the sediment is one thing, but in my 5 brews and all of the pictures I've seen, I've never seen anything like the two layers of liquid.

Don't worry. This is not that unusual in a carboy and it is not at all the ugliest fermentation you will see.

In the future I would leave out the irish moss on any wheat beer. Clouds are fine in a wheat.

Could you post your recipe/general procedure?

Also, when you topped off with water to reach your full 5 gallon volume, did you stir well?

I have had a beer that did that right after pitching. What temps did you pitch at? The yeast may still be humping and stuff, checking out their new environment before getting something to eat. Give it a few days (weeks) and if it goes unchanged - THEN I might show a bit of concern :)
I like watching fermentations in carboys. Beer does some pretty cool stuff.
-Me

Also, when you topped off with water to reach your full 5 gallon volume, did you stir well?

+1 - how is it you are the only one to say this. If you did an extract (I am assuming you did), you need to top off with water and then make sure it is all mixed in well. If you just added water, I would imagine this could happen.

Sooooo, did you mix it well? If not, I am not sure what will happen.

I believe your beer has been infected with a resistant strain of "herpegonhasyphilaids"...

Just kidding, what does it taste like?

I'm wondering about the turnout myself, as I've never seen anything like this.

Hey OP, are you still out there, and do you have any updates?

Back