2 cans of extract per batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grlz

Reaction score
i was perusing through my homebrewing for dummies book whilst on the can today and he said he uses two cans of extract per 5 gal batch. anyone do this? i always used one, kinda seems like overkill to me.

Depends on the size of your cans. Most of them at my LHBS are 3.3 lbs and that won't give you much on it's own in a 5 gallon batch.

That's exactly what I was going to say! For a 5 gallon batch, you should use two cans. Otherwise, you're making "near beer" or using corn sugar to boost up the ABV.

Depends on the size of your cans. Most of them at my LHBS are 3.3 lbs and that won't give you much on it's own in a 5 gallon batch.

Right. It all depends on the recipe; a Scottish 60 or a really mild bitter or stout could be okay with about 1 can or a bit more.

Even an ESB, Kolsch, or Pale Ale probably needs about twice that in a 5 gallon batch (let alone a barleywine, Belgian strong, imperial IPA, RIS, etc).

I just brewed a stout in where I used 3 3.3lb cans. Everything depends on your beer style and gravity you're shooting for

Coopers kits contain 3.75 lb. malt, but they need more.
...but what should you add? ...and how much?
6 different options:
1. None - Maybe you plan to purchase something special, or you already have something to use.
2. 2.2lb Dextrose - Lowest "finished beer cost." It makes a extra-light-bodied (thin) beer.
3. 2.2lb Brew Enhancer 1 - Blended dextrose and maltodextrine. Makes light-bodied beer.
4. 1.75lb Brew Enhancer 1.5 - Blended Malt Extract and Dextrose. For moderate strength and body.
5. 2.2lb Brew Enhancer 2 - Blended Malt Extract, dextrose, and maltodextrine. Moderately full-bodied.
6. 3.3lb Malt Extract - This makes stronger beer, with the richest flavor and fullest body.

It depends on what you are brewing. I use three cans of extract in my Imperial Stout. SumnerH is right though, you'll save a lot of cash if you start using DME instead of canned extract.

Tom

i was perusing through my homebrewing for dummies book whilst on the can today and he said he uses two cans of extract per 5 gal batch. anyone do this? i always used one, kinda seems like overkill to me.

Because I live in Burnaby Canada where beer is expensive to buy ($25 for 12 bottles of beer) I usually use 1 can of Coopers (Mexican or Pilsner) 2 cups of DME and 1 cup dextrose. About 3.5% to 4% alc. Ferment colder (under 19C)

For the Coopers Stout I use 2 cups DME, 1 cup dextrose and 1 cup maltodextrin to thicken it up a bit. About 4% alc.

Simple and I make a quality batch for under $20. :)

Coopers kits contain 3.75 lb. malt, but they need more.
...but what should you add? ...and how much?
6 different options:
1. None - Maybe you plan to purchase something special, or you already have something to use.
2. 2.2lb Dextrose - Lowest "finished beer cost." It makes a extra-light-bodied (thin) beer.
3. 2.2lb Brew Enhancer 1 - Blended dextrose and maltodextrine. Makes light-bodied beer.
4. 1.75lb Brew Enhancer 1.5 - Blended Malt Extract and Dextrose. For moderate strength and body.
5. 2.2lb Brew Enhancer 2 - Blended Malt Extract, dextrose, and maltodextrine. Moderately full-bodied.
6. 3.3lb Malt Extract - This makes stronger beer, with the richest flavor and fullest body.

this is a very handy little guide line for a new brewer with nice suggestions & explainations. ++ for your help to this question.

this is a very handy little guide line for a new brewer with nice suggestions & explainations. ++ for your help to this question.

The only thing I'd like to add is "go easy on the dextrose". Just thinking of putting 1kg (2.2lbs) of dextrose and nothing else to those Coopers kits makes me cringe. It's like putting too much sugar in your coffee; after a certain amount it doesn't taste like coffee and ruins the taste.

Hi ,i Use Coopers Kits,keep In Mind That They Make 6 Gal U.s.,i Just Made An Irish Stout With 1 Lb. Dme And 500g Of Dex, Carbed Out W / 1 Cup Dex Bottled And Its Really Good, For The Draught I Used The Kit And 3.2 Lme Light And It Came Out Real Good, The More Sugar Makes A Little Higher Abv, I Also Leave It In Prime For 3 Weeks

is there a generic dme or do i just pick one thats similar to the beer im making? at this site i see pale, amber, dark and so on.

is there a generic dme or do i just pick one thats similar to the beer im making? at this site i see pale, amber, dark and so on.

A lot of people always use the pale and then add specialty grains (crystal, chocolate, etc.). Basically that's what amber and dark are: pale+. If you don't have access to specialty grains, then you can use dark or amber.

If you're using a recipe, just follow it.

That is a nice guide to follow. I have always used two 3.3 pound cans or one can and one bag of extract. I forget what the conversion is from DME to LME... something like LME is .8 compared to DME because of water weight. there is also another figure that will give you gravity per gallon per pound of extract but I dont remember that either. Hope this "I dont remember" post helps. Cheers to beers!

1 can will give you around 3.0% - 3.5 abv and 2 should boost you up to at least 4.5% abv. From experience, a 5 gallon batch that uses 1 can is a waste. If the can is 3.3 lbs.

hey dogboy, could you elaborate a little more on your list? like #5, 2.2 lbs brew enhancer 2, how muvh of each item? thanks for that list too.

hey dogboy, could you elaborate a little more on your list? like #5, 2.2 lbs brew enhancer 2, how muvh of each item? thanks for that list too.
Hi , i got this information from

Annapolis Home Brew

im a noob ,5 batches, found it on the web ,they sell most these options, scroll down to coopers and click,or for more infohttp://www.coopershomebrew.com.au
go to the general store button,then #6 button fermentables, cheers

Back