Water at 60F coming in 1.002 on multiple hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
What gives?
I thought my hydrometer was off, because I was getting 1.002 at 60F with distilled or well water.

Well, I just bought a new one of a different brand, and it does the same.

Both say 60F on their papers inside.

Ideas?

Should I drop 2 points from all my readings with these?

Are you reading from the water level, or where the water actually meets the hyrdo after it's done that curvy thing it does that I don't know the name of?

What gives?
I thought my hydrometer was off, because I was getting 1.002 at 60F with distilled or well water. Should I drop 2 points from all my readings with these?

Yes, if your hydrometer is reading 1.002 at 60F in distilled water, you'll need to subtract 0.002 from any reading taken with it.

I've tested three hydrometers in the last 3 years - the first read 0.002 low, the second read 0.002 high, and the third read perfectly. So, I use the third as my primary and the second as my backup. And, the first was broken last year. :cross:

The word for the day kids is, meniscus I think it's one of the coolest words..

pee_wee_herman.jpg

"Meniscus"

hydrometer_read.gif

yes, distilled (and also tested my well water, which measured the same), and yes, measured correctly.

I guess I'll just work with the -.002 rule. It's just wierd that two different brands of hydrometer measure this way.

I'm also taking refractometer readings and working on switching to refractometer eventually when I get comfortable with it.

anyway, off to finish my strike water

Back