Channels I love

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
History, Discovery, Comedy Central, Adult Swim... but I hate that jap ****, TNT occasionally has good stuff on.

History, NatGeo, ESPN, and Spike are where I spend most of my tv time.

Monday nights there are a bunch of shows I like to watch - Heroes, 2.5 Men, CSI Miami.

The Tuesdays it's The Universe on the History Channel - that show is fantastic.

also history, discovery,spike and tsn.
showcase has some good stuff occasionally(kink,sin cities)

Short Drive said:
I do.

NFL HD
HD Theater (Discovery)
Discovery HD
Food Network

what's the difference between HD Theater and Discovery HD? i get the HD Theater but no the Discovery HD and i just always assumed it was the discovery channel.

james3 said:
what's the difference between HD Theater and Discovery HD? i get the HD Theater but no the Discovery HD and i just always assumed it was the discovery channel.
I used to get Discovery Theater HD and about a month ago they switched the channel to HD Theater. I assumed they were the same channel, just renamed.

We actually dropped cable, but added the HD package to the lifeline package (only local channels), so even though we don't pay the high cable prices, we still get:

ESPNHD
ESPN2HD
HDNET
HDMOVIES
HBOHD ($5/mo for 12 month special)
SHOWTIMEHD (included in the $5/mo special)
HD Theater
TNT HD
AE HD
HISTORY HD
UNIVERSAL HD
TWCHD (weather in HD!)
ABCHD
CBSHD
NBCHD
FOXHD
2 different PBSHD channels

I think that's all. The only thing that isn't in HD is the CW, and only my wife watches America's Next Top Model on that channel, and she doesn't fully appreciate HD, so it doesn't bother her.

Ever since I got HD, I hate to watch anything that isn't HD. I'll watch some stupid movie in HD, but because it's HD, I'm mesmerized...and I've had HD for over 2 years!

drunkatuw said:
HBOHD ($5/mo for 12 month special)
SHOWTIMEHD (included in the $5/mo special)

Are those prices for JUST the HD channels, or is that 5$ for each the entire HBO and Showtime packaging?

HD taught me to appreciate nature. Now when I see a special on some patch of rainforest in Brazil, I can see a tree, see a bat sitting in that tree and say "That same bat was in that same tree when they were trying to catch candiru!"

Food Network, HGTV, PBS on the weekends for cooking/food shows, AE, Discovery and TCM b/c I like old movies.

No HD, I like nature anyways...

History Channel
Discovery
KET (public tv, incredibly well done)
Food TV
IFC (independant film channel)
ESPNU

I've noticed that no one likes the major networks (ABC, NBC) anymore. Everyone i've talked to list off those same channels as you guys, mostly discovery, history and ESPN.

Good deal, maybe education can sell!

Klainmeister said:
I've noticed that no one likes the major networks (ABC, NBC) anymore. Everyone i've talked to list off those same channels as you guys, mostly discovery, history and ESPN.

Thats a good observation, I think its probably because the major networks have become overwhelmed with reality TV trash programming and half-assed sitcoms.

I dont know about you guys but I like to watch channels that I can walk away with some sort of interesting knowledge or fact feeling slightly educated, rather than a channel that makes me feel like more of an idiot every second its being watched....Thats how I feel about the ABC, NBC, CBS, MTV, Etc. networks.

Klainmeister said:

The group of people that use this website aren't necessarily your typical Americans....we're do it yourselfers to the highest degree...part of what makes it fun is building your stuff, right. It's about the process and adventure in a way. I know that the unknown parts drive me to learn more.

The fact that we spend hours reading about proper brewing technique ranging from proper grain crush to yeast harvesting puts us on the, dare I say it, geeky side of the beer world to most out side of the brewing circle.

We probably aren't the sample group that the big networks are going for. :D

Science Channel and Discovery blend together with me. I watch them both, and since they're both Discovery the shows will cross a bit if you look in the time frame of a year. How It's Made, Miracle Planet, those are all pretty cool. Discovery Health is a great time waster with "True Stories of the ER" and "Mystery Diagnosis".

CBS: Numb3rs, CSI
Fox: House
NBC: Heroes, Law and Order
USA: The 4400

I've been getting into the History and Discovery channels more, too. Occasional game on ESPN or the SEC affiliate here.

I want to beat up every FoodTV host except for AB and Giada. Mmmmm....Giada.... If I saw Guy whatthefart'shisname on the street I wouldn't hesitate to tell him he's not 20 years old anymore and looks ridiculous.

mr_stimey said:
Are those prices for JUST the HD channels, or is that 5$ for each the entire HBO and Showtime packaging?
All HBO and Showtime channels, about 10 HBO channels and 2-3 showtime channels, but only 1 of each in HD.

drunkatuw said:
All HBO and Showtime channels, about 10 HBO channels and 2-3 showtime channels, but only 1 of each in HD.

Okay that sound right, I was about to say 5 bucks for one HD channel? Haha dang that would be ridiculous.

Klainmeister said:

Put me down for that. I'd much rather watch something at least semi-eductional than crappy cliche comedy. Its either that or depressing/highly unlikely dramas. I rarely watch the majors unless its for sports...

PseudoChef said:
I want to beat up every FoodTV host except for AB and Giada. Mmmmm....Giada....

Giada's head is like, freakishly large. You want a HOTTIE in the kitchen, you've got to find yourself some Nigella Lawson...

product1.jpg

She's pushing 50, but for my money, she's the hottest woman on TV.

ESPN, NatGeo, History Channel. I like NatGeo a lot more than Discovery. Not as much programs but I barely go to discovery once I got NatGeo. Oh yea, Jenna TV too (jk I'm too cheap for that).

Nobody's brought up the Military Channel yet. I've been watching that a lot lately since the writer's strike killed most of my favorite shows. I like Weaponology, where they show the history and evolution of a particular weapon or military organization. I've seen episodes on Hitler's Waffen SS, the US Marines, artillery, etc.

And no, I don't have any military background, I just find the stuff interesting.

james3 said:

Its the regular Discovery Channel in HD. Its part of Dish Networks HD package.

oh yeah sho is awesome, dexter, weeds, californication, tudors, sleeper cell was cool to.

Well, personality plays a big role in women for me. I think Rachael Ray is hot, but I couldn't stand to be in the room with her for 2 minutes. Giada just seems cool. Nigella just seems like my mom, and that's not so cool.

Discovery, NatGeo, Adult Swim, History, and Travel Channel, and TLC still has a couple of shows left I like (American Chopper and such, the home decorating crap I could care less for).

I'm surprised no one mentioned the travel channel (I may have missed it skimming through 4 pages) I like the Bizarre Foods and No Reservations.

Back