Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clcondawg

Reaction score
I've been having issues with my head lately. It is full of big, loose bubbles and disappears quickly. Before you guys tell me to add wheat to my recipe, you should know, i already do. (Although this last recipe was torrified wheat, which i have never used before. I have a couple theories i'd like to run by the experts here.
Before pitching the yeast, to aerate the wort, i just let it splash into the bucket. This is usually very foamy and frothy. Am i killing the head by doing this?
The temperature i serve the beer from the keg is usually below 40. Would that affect head?

how soon after you carbonate do you serve? how do you carbonate, and what styles do you carbonate? heavier beers need more time. do you force carb or naturally carb the kegs with sugar?

Flaked oats is a good idea. None were in the head-less recipes. Not sure what you mean by oily, but ive heard oils are bad for head. What are considered oils in a beer recipe?
This is a spiced pumpkin ale that ive been trying to steadily carbonate at serving pressure and temperature for the first time. It has been 5 days at 15 pounds and 40 degrees. Ive always thought carbonation didnt play a role in head retention. Thanks for the quick responses.

Flaked oats is a good idea. None were in the head-less recipes. Not sure what you mean by oily, but ive heard oils are bad for head. What are considered oils in a beer recipe?
This is a spiced pumpkin ale that ive been trying to steadily carbonate at serving pressure and temperature for the first time. It has been 5 days at 15 pounds and 40 degrees. Ive always thought carbonation didnt play a role in head retention. Thanks for the quick responses.

It probably needs a bit longer in the keg at that psi. Idk because I bottle. But definitely need it carbonated to get a good head.

I carbonate in kegs at serving temp and pressure. It usually takes at least 2 weeks for complete carbonation, sometimes as much as three weeks. Give it more time.

Something is likely up beyond the recipes. I understand that adding wheat or carapils helps with foam stability, but they certainly aren't needed for it. I don't think I've ever used either (except wheat in a wheat beer) and always seem to have good head retention.

Could it have to do with how or with what you are using to clean your equipment?

Wheat(which your using already) CaraPils, any Crystal malt if mashed at a high enough temp, and flaked oats. Those will all help make a more heady beer with more body and mouthfeel. Other than that everyones right about giving it time. Sometimes even if a beer if fully carbed it still needs some time to get right.

I agree with above that your beer needs more time to fully carbonate. Your head will be bigger (giggity) then.

Also, make sure you handwash your glasses, and ensure all soap is fully rinsed off. Do not use a dishwasher for your beer glassware, especially if it uses JetDry or an equivalent. This can lead to very poor head retention.

Another issue could be breaking down proteins necessary for stable foam being broken down when you mash. Clean glassware could also be an issue.
-That, and carbonating longer at serving pressure.

Back