Ordering Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmcd11

Reaction score
Newbie here.
Ordering Flying Dog Pale Ale extract kit from Austin Homebrew.

The options for yeast are:
1) White Labs Pacific Ale wlp041 ($6.99), OR
2) Fermentis Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast ($3.99)

I have made a few extract kit brews in the past few months. I've used the dry yeast packets that come with the kit and are pitched with the beer after it has cooled down. Have not made a yeast starter yet.

Will I have to make a yeast starter with option #1? or can I pitch that yeast the same way I always have with the kit dry packets?

Newbie here.
Ordering Flying Dog Pale Ale extract kit from Austin Homebrew.

The options for yeast are:
1) White Labs Pacific Ale wlp041 ($6.99), OR
2) Fermentis Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast ($3.99)

I have made a few extract kit brews in the past few months. I've used the dry yeast packets that come with the kit and are pitched with the beer after it has cooled down. Have not made a yeast starter yet.

Will I have to make a yeast starter with option #1? or can I pitch that yeast the same way I always have with the kit dry packets?

If you're using liquid yeast, you really should make a starter if the OG is above about 1.045 or so. It's not necessary, strictly, but it does make a better beer. In the case of this beer, though, I'd go with the dry S05 anyway.

Like Yooper said, you'll see that virtually all the higher-ups in the home brew community will say to definitely make a starter when using liquid yeast. This ensures that you have enough yeast cells for healthy fermentation, and we all know that besides proper sanitation, a good fermentation is the biggest factor in making good beer.

I would second (or third) the above. Always make a starter with liquid, but for a simple pale ale, go with the dry yeast. The liquid yeasts really shine when you are making a more unique style but the dry varieties work really well

Also there is a bit of risk if they are shipping liquid yeast to you, depending on how quickly it can reach you, handling in transit, and the means of keeping it cool. A day or so at moderate temperature should be ok, but otherwise you risk damaging the liquid culture.

Back