Where do I get 85% Food Grade Phosphoric Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p-nut

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get 85%. All I can find is 10%.

If you really need it at 85% concentration, just do a Google search. There are lots of places that sell it. Here's one from Amazon for only $15 for 1L.

That Amazon link is where I purchased my 85% phosphoric from. Came within a couple days. I suspect I'll never have purchase another bottle. It's a big bottle. It'll last for years.

Actually -- it just dawned on me -- does acid last for years on the shelf? I keep it in my basement where the temp is a pretty steady 65F.

Actually -- it just dawned on me -- does acid last for years on the shelf? I keep it in my basement where the temp is a pretty steady 65F.

So long as it's in a relatively inert container (which I assume it is) and you keep it out of light and temp extremes, you should be fine.

Keep it below 200 Celsius and don't worry about it. Light, cold, nothing gonna touch it, except extreme heat. If you find your bottle approaching 200 C, run from the room... that's 400 F near enough.....you have bigger instability issues than the phosphoric acid.

My LHBS just started carrying 75% food-grade phosphoric acid.

I got a gallon jug of it for only $20 (more than one would ever need for most uses), which is pretty damn good when you consider that my LHBS tends to overcharge for EVERYTHING.

And it's a Five Star product, no less. It even has instructions on the side of the jug for yeast-washing - though my purpose for buying it was to adjust mash pH.

Given that I've never seen it until very recently, (and also because the store owner told me he'd be getting smaller containers of the product shortly), I think it might be a pretty new product for Five Star, and if so, I'd expect it to start showing up in all sorts of local and online shops.

Back