Priming with dry wheat extract: How much to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jxs226

Reaction score
Folks,

I have 5.5 gallons of Belgian Tripel (FG=1.002!) that needs to be bottled asap and I only have honey and dry wheat extract available for priming.

While the honey comes from my hives and is high quality, I would rather not rely on it for priming. This leaves me with the dry wheat extract and, after much googling, I have seen only a few references to using this for priming.

Assuming I want ~2.2 volumes of CO2, could anyone please give me a ballpark on the volume (I do not yet have a balance) of dry wheat extract to use for priming? 1 cup? 1.5 cups?

Thanks!

Here's a pretty good calculator that will tell you: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

DME and dry wheat extract or close enough that you won't really have to make an adjustment (the calculator gives you amount of DME).

EDIT: Whoops, missed that you need it in volume. If you can get the amount by weight I'm sure someone would be able to tell you about how much that would be in cups.

I was unsure of the relative fermentability of dry wheat extract compared to DME, that's why I posted my question here.

Even within DME, there appears to be a bit of variation in fermentability and thus in the amount required for priming. To which is dry wheat extract most comparable? DME 55%? DME 70%? DME 75%?

In any case, it seems like a cup of dry wheat extract might get me close. Any other thoughts?

Back