The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we back to the stupid beer comments and away from the off topic quantity consumed comments?

No! I was enjoying stupid comments, about stupid comments about beer drinking. :D

The only way to break this streak is to have a stupid comment about beer itself. Go ahead and make one up if that makes you feel better. :D

I always get the "god that's heavy" comment. Whether its a Pale Ale, IPA or a brown. I haven't even made anything close to a stout or porter yet.

I made a really bitter IPA recently that always makes people pucker and they say "whew. thats strong/bitter", and I just tell them "well good, thats exactly what I was going for!"

The best comment I got was about my Amarillo/Simcoe IPA(which got a LOT of good feedback), from a BMC drinker that also enjoys a Sam Adams/Schlafly. I gave him a taster from the keg before he headed out to the bars one night. He and everyone else really took well to it, the girl even saying it had a peach flavor. He told me a few days later that after he went out that night, he couldn't even drink a bud light or any other regular/commercial beers.

Say no more :D

"are you sure this isnt wine?" BMC friend drinking a belgian golden strong

"why on earth would you want your beer to be bitter?" my mom

"what country is this beer from?" ummmmm its a homebrew. i made it down the street. "it taste like a german beer." - the beer was an imperial stout

"your beer got me really really drunk last night. " friend referring to my belgian golden strong 8.5%abv

My boss kept hounding me for a sample of my beer. I finally brought some with me to give to those who wanted a to try it. He came by a few days later and said, "yeah I tried that beer the other night...nice and wheaty."

WTF? Wheaty???? It was a traditional brown. Probably should stick with his Michelob.

both from tasting my oatmeal stout:

"wow that is really like a hoegaarden"
"tastes like coffee mixed with beer!"

My boss kept hounding me for a sample of my beer. I finally brought some with me to give to those who wanted a to try it. He came by a few days later and said, "yeah I tried that beer the other night...nice and wheaty."

WTF? Wheaty???? It was a traditional brown. Probably should stick with his Michelob.

I think comments like that come from an uneducated (not saying that in a bad way) person talking to an educated one. We know what we're talking about, we know the language. But an uneducated beer person doesn't know the correct terms and must make due with communicating with a smaller vocabulary of descriptors. I don't see that situation as having to cast him off as a BMC guy, but a chance to educate.

"What is this ?"

Weizenbeer

"OOOOh its so good........its makin my skin blotchy ?....is that normal!?"

A coworker asked to try a hard cider then bugged me till I finally brought her some.
I keg so I had to put it in a bottle I had laying around.
I asked her what she thought; she said,
"It wasn't very good. I thought you were going to bring me something you made, not this IPA you got at the store."

A coworker asked to try a hard cider then bugged me till I finally brought her some.
"It wasn't very good. I thought you were going to bring me something you made, not this IPA you got at the store."

I would have screamed and my head would have exploded with enough force to knock her over.

Yeah, I recently got this. I gave a couple bottles of a very hop forward pale ale to a co-worker. He came back the next day saying, "It was really good. My dad says it tastes like Bud Light Wheat"

Me: "Glad you liked it!...Wait. What?"

holy frick this thread is good. took me a few days to read all 110 pages (did most of it at work lol) anyways...

"wow this has a ton of flavor!" *hands bottle of green flash IIPA back and takes sip of bud light* "ahhh tastes like water!"- i was very confused by this

"is this okay to drink?" while in a basement with 20+ people drinking the same homebrew english ale

People ask me how its done all the time, usually i just say "without going into detail you convert sugars into alcohol with yeast" if they ask a follow up i'll go in depth. I can't stand one sided conversations where one or more parties clearly don't care.

Maybe she wanted some hard dickens cider

I funniest guinness mix I ever saw was at one of the seediest dives I've ever been to and they had "Pabst smears" Guinness and PBR. right away I knew was in a classy joint.

LMAO, this place wouldnt be located in a Tower like building with a tattoo parlor upstairs? When you were in that neighborhood did you actually expect anything other than the utmost of class in a drinking establishment?

LMAO, this place wouldnt be located in a Tower like building with a tattoo parlor upstairs? When you were in that neighborhood did you actually expect anything other than the utmost of class in a drinking establishment?

you know EXACTLY the place...

from a co-worker today, "what type of CO2 do you use?"

That's not a stupid comment. Bottle carbonated or keg carbonated? If keg carbonated, where do you get your CO2? If keg carbonated, are you carbing with nitro?

I've carbed with CO2 from a seedy paintball supply shop and CO2 from a beer supply place. The paintball gas had a funny metallic/chemical smell to it - like if you huffed your half-empty glass, you'd get a nosefull and wonder what was up. It wasn't just green beer, either, the smell was really noticeable in soda water. So I think asking someone where they get their gas is a totally legit question.

That's not a stupid comment. Bottle carbonated or keg carbonated? If keg carbonated, where do you get your CO2? If keg carbonated, are you carbing with nitro?

I've carbed with CO2 from a seedy paintball supply shop and CO2 from a beer supply place. The paintball gas had a funny metallic/chemical smell to it - like if you huffed your half-empty glass, you'd get a nosefull and wonder what was up. It wasn't just green beer, either, the smell was really noticeable in soda water. So I think asking someone where they get their gas is a totally legit question.

There is a difference between food-grade and non-food-grade (industrial? I'm not sure what to call it) CO2. I asked last time I was getting a refill at the welding shop (they only offer food-grade because you can use it for anything).

I should have clarified. We were talking about my kegerator and how I got a good deal on my CO2 tank, and that's when the question arouse.

CO2 is CO2 is CO2, no matter where it comes from. If I had a nitro setup then it would be N2. He also wasn't asking where I got the gas, rather what type of CO2 gas it was. I wonder if maybe the CO2 that you are getting from the paintball shop isn't pure CO2, and maybe that's where the off flavors are comming from. I know when I went to get my tank, they asked me if it was for a beverage use, so maybe there's some purity differences in some filling stations.

EDIT: I didn't see Hegh's post directly above me

At my annual Kegmas party this last year some random girl overheard me explaining the brewing process to a friend; she followed up with "So I can add sugar to make this taste good?"
My smile barely covered up my look of disdain. She clearly had no idea that she was speaking to the brewer, so I found her a few skunky miller lites to suck on while the rest of the party enjoyed my Imperial stout.

I had made a batch of Pumpkin Ale this fall and I had someone at a party ask me "This is not bad, but is it supposed to taste like pumpkin?"

No, it's actually a beer I made with black olives that I call Pumpkin Ale because it has a nice ring to it!

Female visitor looking at my brewery: you make moon shine?
me: no, that's a brewery for making beer.
her: ooh can I try some?
me: sure, here's one you can handle (hands her 4% blond ale)
her: that's really big!
me: actually, it's only 4%
her: (seeing a cheap vodka bottle on the shelf) so you buy vodka and add it to the beer to get the alcohol in?
me: no, (explains yeast and fermentation) adds: the vodka is for the airlock on the fermenter
her: you're a funny one, yeast can't make alcohol silly...
me: LOL
her: can I have some vodka (hands beer back)
me: ah,...sure. :confused:

Not of my homebrews but . . .

Posted a pic of the inside of my kegerator on an automotive forum I go on,

IMG_0907.jpg

They were all commenting on what sh*t beer was in there,

one guy said, what, no 40's?

another said, I would rather drink water than that crap.

And my favorite was, a guy said, there isn't even any american beer in there.

ugh.

And my favorite was, a guy said, there isn't even any american beer in there.

ugh.

It gets better when you go to a bar and when you ask the bartender/waitress why you got charged full price instead of the happy hour price for Sam Adams or worse yet Holy Mackerel (it sucks) which is local Ft. Lauderdale and they tell you it's an import.

It gets better when you go to a bar and when you ask the bartender/waitress why you got charged full price instead of the happy hour price for Sam Adams or worse yet Holy Mackerel (it sucks) which is local Ft. Lauderdale and they tell you it's an import.

Yes! That actually infuriates me. I'm surprised I haven't bitched about it to a bartender... probably because I'm not a d-bag and know it's not her/his fault. :D

I had an interesting one recently. Not a homebrew comment but what the heck...

So at a local restaurant they serve Hennepin on tap. I order one and to my chagrin, it is terribly oxidized. Sherry, cardboard, the whole 9. Anyway, I send it back and tell the server it is oxidized and inquire about the age of the keg or perhaps something amis in the tap lines. She returns it but comes back later to tell me, the lines are cleaned regularly and that is just they way that beer tastes 'kind of skunky'. Sad face. I just said 'OK' and drank my beer with dinner. I wish they would have taken my helpful comment a bit more to heart, but I am not willing to be a dick.

Anyway, I recently had one of my friends tell me they really liked this craptastic mild on had on tap. That was probably the dumbest comment I have heard yet about my beer. It was awful.

I had an interesting one recently. Not a homebrew comment but what the heck...

So at a local restaurant they serve Hennepin on tap. I order one and to my chagrin, it is terribly oxidized. Sherry, cardboard, the whole 9. Anyway, I send it back and tell the server it is oxidized and inquire about the age of the keg or perhaps something amis in the tap lines. She returns it but comes back later to tell me, the lines are cleaned regularly and that is just they way that beer tastes 'kind of skunky'. Sad face. I just said 'OK' and drank my beer with dinner. I wish they would have taken my helpful comment a bit more to heart, but I am not willing to be a dick.

Anyway, I recently had one of my friends tell me they really liked this craptastic mild on had on tap. That was probably the dumbest comment I have heard yet about my beer. It was awful.

I had somewhat a similar experience at BW3s (I wanted to watch hockey dammit), I ordered a New Glarus Moon Man and it had a really odd flavor and odor to it. I've had it before and like it so I knew something was up. I didn't bother explaining and just sent it back saying "it's off". Got a Capital Skoal.

One of my friends has been thinking of brewing but he dose not have the money to do it right. So this is how every conversation goes:

Hem "I've been brewing some frozen juice mix with sugar its real good."

I look at the water jug the juice is in. The top has a plastic bag with rubber bands holding it on. He then picks it up and shakes the sh@## out of it.

Me "Um you should really let the yeast set on the bottom".
Hem "O... you think so? cause it makes more gas if you shake it up.
I try sum and :eek: "Maybe you should put less sugar in it"
Hem "No I want a lot of alcohol in it"
I'm thinking WTF?

Is there a better way to get people to read up on how to brew things right? :ban:

Back