Any primed carbonation in Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuggles

Reaction score
I used the ale yeast and primed my version w/ DME and honey. It has been a little over two weeks in the bottle and I tried one last night and there was not a whole lot of carbonation. No head whatsoever and just background carbonation. Does it ever get fully carbonated?

I have the same 10psi going to the apfelwein and my beer. The apfelwein doesn't have nearly the protien content so you won't notice a head or anything. If you have even a few bubbles is is actually carbonated quite well.

chillHayze said:
I have the same 10psi going to the apfelwein and my beer. The apfelwein doesn't have nearly the protien content so you won't notice a head or anything. If you have even a few bubbles is is actually carbonated quite well.

Ah yes, but let that glass sit there and you can watch bubble float to the top just like champagne.

Yep, I like to let mine breathe for a min or two before drinking it. Ed, don't you use N2 so it doesn't carb?

chillHayze said:
Yep, I like to let mine breathe for a min or two before drinking it. Ed, don't you use N2 so it doesn't carb?

I use N2 on my Cabernet for dispensing, but I carb my Apfelwein at least a week at 12 PSI. It adds a slight effervescence. Hmmm good.

bottled mine last saturday.
the pet tester bottle is getting firm so i think i will have good carbonation at the end of the 3rd week

I've been watching the posts on carbing.

These post numbers have info on carbing in Ed's "I love Apfelwein" thread.

#572 - Manufacturer Recomendation - Montrachet

I will probably bottle 3/4 or 1 cup corn sugar with a fresh yeast starter.

I think people who have tried to naturally carb have waited until clearing has occurred and too much yeast has fallen out of suspension.

The results seem to be mixed some good some bad. Nothing consistent as far as what really works good. So I figure I will do it like a long drawn out lager.

Good Luck :mug:

Bubbles heroically gripping the sides of the glass......one by one they succumb to the greater force and float upward in glorious defeat. Bubbles - the priming has worked. It just took a little longer than beer. All is right in the world.

Back