Pitched the yeast.. been 9 hours and no sign of fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndApple

Reaction score
No bubbles so far.

It could be due to bleach sanitization which I may had not rinsed very throughly

The yeast was Wyeast Hefeweizen, the bag swell up pretty good so I know it's good.

I did aerate with hand mixer thing which was bleach sanitized.

Help! I put so much work making the wort.

One more thing..

Do you guys think it's necessary to use 2ndary fermenter in advance?

thanks in advance.

One more thing..

Do you guys think it's necessary to use 2ndary fermenter in advance?

thanks in advance.

You mean you have a 2nd fermenter and it's idle!? THEN YES, BREW UP ANOTHER BATCH AND GET THAT THING FILLED UP! :rockin:

I'm not sure what you mean by using a secondary fermenter in advance though. Making a starter to re-pitch at this point, no. Wait another ~60 hours for that.

with a hefe, you definitely don't need to use a secondary. just ferment it until it's finished, let it sit a few more days for good measure and bottle that sucker up.

Did you pitch an Activator or Propagator?

With the Activator you'll probably see activity soon as its meant for pitching straight into 5 gallons.

If it was a propagator then it might be a little longer because those packs are meant to be built up with a starter before pitching. This just means that the yeast will need a longer growth phase, but don't worry the hefe will still turn out fine.

I don't think I've ever seen signs of fermentation in a hefe within nine hours, and I've never had one not come out great. There are a lot of variables, but nine hours is way too early to worry.

Good News, Although I'm using a white plastic bucket, I can hear the bubbles forming crazy and LOT of bubles in airlock.

Cool, you got a good seal, and it's working, it's working!
(Now do a mad scientist laugh)
I only do secondary's when I need the larger primary fermenter or I need to crash chill my brew. Which is all the time but it's not required otherwise.

Wow, Gravity went from 1.45 OG to 1.11 in 3 days! I heard if Wyeast Weihenstephaner working fast, but this is...wow

Took a sample sip It has slight sour taste. (I sanitized the spigot afterwards, don't worry)

Is this normal? though it's only been 3 days

Good Lord man, quit screwing with your beer, it's fine.

Don't even look at it again until the weekend after next (or even three weekends). Let those little yeasties clean up in peace.

Back