Have a couple questions while making flyguy's MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javajo91

Reaction score
Afternoon everyone.

Making my first AG batch this Saturday and tweaking my 5 gl version of flyguy's conversion cooler MLT.

I was initially not able to find a 5/8" SS washer so i bought a 3/4"...sort of worked but the nut on the female barb adapter on the inside was not really able to grip on the 3/4" ss washer...

So, i went back to Homedepot and actually found a SS bolt kit that includes (2) 5/8" ss flat washers!! Nice.

I also bought some teflon pipe packing and some 5/8" rubber hose washers just to make certain i don not have to go back to the store..

My questions are these..

Will the rubber hose washers impart a weird taste if installed on the inside? They're the same reddish hose washers you'd find on your garden hose.

Also - how are you guys really able to crank down on this whole assembly and make everything tight? I've found that once i crank down on the female barb connector on the inside and then attach the valve on the outside and try and tighten that..i end up loosening the inside barb connector...because they're both attached to the same pipe nipple. I'm guessing that you have to find a way to clamp down on the brass nipple so it doesn't move as your're tightening the outside valve....

Thanks for any help

I personally wouldn't use the washers insdie the MLT unless they were silicone.

You really don't want to crank down on the valve assembly either. Most leaks in a system like this are caused by over tightening. I go just past hand tightened and never leak a drop.

Yep - you're right. Overtightening may be part of the issue.
Maybe if anything I'll use the teflon pipe packing and wrap around the stem before i attach the barb on the inside. I'm assuming teflon is ok...

Also, tightening the external threads should not loosen the internal ones. They're both right-hand threads. When I made mine, fingered everything together, then tightened the whole assembly by placing a wrench on the internal barb fitting and turning the external barb with another wrench.

For ss washer I just googled "fasteners(my city name)"I instantly found 3 shops within 2 miles of my home and I live in a small Canadian city.

The ss washer is the key. I used a flat ss washer - not the larger fender style. A couple cranks past finger tight with the wrench and it's very solid. No leaks.

Back