Washing yeast from a re-used yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So I've been doing some searching and posted this question in the washing sticky but no luck so far.

I've got an AB clone that's just about done,OG 1.071. I pitched it onto the yeast cake from the previous brew, a Brown with an OG of 1.050. I would now like to wash that yeast and store for upcoming brews. The yeast strain is Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I know it will probably be a little stressed, but I think if I wash it real good I should get plenty of viable yeast.

What do you think? Thanks :mug:

I'd say go for it! I have a hard cider being made on a Wyeast 3068 cake from a friend's previous hard apple cider brew. The condition I agreed to in order to use the cake was that I had to wash the yeast afterwards so we could have a Hefeweizen brew-off! After that I'll probably pitch onto the Hefeweizen cake to get a 4th brew out of a single Wyeast Activator pack, which I didn't pay for :D

With an OG of 1.071, I think you have seriously stressed and possibly mutated yeast. At the least, you may wind up with an unexpected flavor profile and at worst, a severely underattentuated beer. I'd still wash it and see.

What I've been advocating for a while is reserving a portion of your original starter and storing that for future propagation vs. simply washing and reusing yeast. This is closer to a pure strain that what is in the cake, and better for long-term yeast management.

So flyangler,
What if one was brewing a 5 gal low-grav batch as a 'starter' for a big grav batch (like say; brewing a 1.047 Enkle for pitching the washed cake into a 1.090 Tripel). Do you still think it would be better to harvest from the first starter (the one for the Enkle) or from the Enkle cake (i.e. harvest a small amount and pitch the rest into the Tripel)? I can easily do either and I'm doing a pre-Tripel Enkle again this weekend.

With an OG of 1.071, I think you have seriously stressed and possibly mutated yeast. At the least, you may wind up with an unexpected flavor profile and at worst, a severely underattentuated beer. I'd still wash it and see.

What I've been advocating for a while is reserving a portion of your original starter and storing that for future propagation vs. simply washing and reusing yeast. This is closer to a pure strain that what is in the cake, and better for long-term yeast management.

yeah I think I'll just go ahead and wash it to see what happens. There's really no better way to answer my question than to experiment. I supposed I could do some testing with it using starters.

So flyangler,
What if one was brewing a 5 gal low-grav batch as a 'starter' for a big grav batch (like say; brewing a 1.047 Enkle for pitching the washed cake into a 1.090 Tripel). Do you still think it would be better to harvest from the first starter (the one for the Enkle) or from the Enkle cake (i.e. harvest a small amount and pitch the rest into the Tripel)? I can easily do either and I'm doing a pre-Tripel Enkle again this weekend.

I think either way would be fine. I've just gotten myself in the habit of reserving a small amount of every initial starter I do for future propagation, or I streak slants and plates directly out of the smackpack or vial before pitching into the starter.

Latest posts

Back