Heating the mash before sparging.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
Heating the mash before sparging and really making sure it was up near 170F before lautering really made a difference in my efficiency today.

I have been plagued with low efficiency (68%) in the past and have attributed it to the crush etc. I have a direct fire MLT so this time through I hit the MLT with some heat before sparging and gave the mash a good stir to make sure there was uniform temperature throughout. Nice hot sparge water (170F) and I kept the flame on super low to make sure the it stayed in the upper 160s for the entire sparge.

76% was the result. Considering it is the same crush and same mash schedule and technique as my past brews this represents a considerable jump.

I guess it makes sense considering sugar needs to be warm to stay liquidy.

I have observed the same effect in my insulated cooler with steam injection system. I routinely get 80-85% efficiency now. I am a bit annoyed by the unexpected jumps in OG's but I'll adjust. ;)

I could certainly use a little insulation on the mash tun, but even if it maintained the mash temp if would still only be at 154 F which is considerably below where I had it at sparging.

I'm thinking of picking up one of those water heater jackets and throwing it around it come mash time and post flame.

I still think I could have brought the overall temperature up a few more degrees and used hotter water as it tended to cool down considerably before the entire 7 gallons was through. Maybe a jacket on the HLT is what I need in conjunction with a little flame below the MLT prior to the sparge?

Nonetheless, I was pleasantly surprised and like Noisy will adjust to my new efficiency by simply brewing bigger and better beers.

Back