How do i know the CO2 volume is right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
Have a 2.5g keg and this is my first force carb. I sanitized the keg, filled to about 2g level with beer that was approximately 60degrees. This is a big imperial stout (16%ABV) so I was thinking 2.0 vol of C02? At 60 degrees I believe that's 16PSI. So I prime to 16PSI. Am I supposed to disconnect the gas line now (obviously valve turned off)? Should I store in fridge? If so will I have the desired pressure still or do I need to heck this somehow? I am bottling from keg when done.

You have to leave the gas connected and regulator set to the appropriate pressure that - at the beer temperature - provides the desired volumes of dissolved CO2.

So, you have to maintain the temperature and the gas pressure until that stout is fully carbed...

Cheers!

And if you store it in a 40 degree fridge (while carbonating), you should set it to 7 psi rather than 16. I would assume that unless you're maintaining constant 60 degrees wherever it's stored (and even Laguna Beach ain't gonna do that), you might want to let it carb up in the fridge at a *constant* temp and pressure that's appropriate.

Back