why brown bottles and returnables?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aa86ron

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a first timer here!

Every batch I make I undoubtedly lose track of at least a few bottles, and everytime I wonder, are returnable bottles necessary?

I understand they're a heavier glass, but why does it matter?

And brown bottles has something to do with light being let in?

Enlighten me!

Thanks all

You don't necessarily need reurnables, it's more that you don't want screw-top bottles. They can break when capping, and don't seal as well. As for the brown vs green bottles, I don't get that either. I've got dozens of green Grolsch bottle that I used for years before kegging, and never had any problems. But no, you don't want over-exposure to light.

Brown bottles help protect your beer from UV light more than any other colors, and keep it from getting light struck, which creates skunky beers.

Returnables have the advantage of being cheaply obtainable if you know who to talk to. My local beer distributor will sell them to me for $1.50 a case - but they are inevitably GROSS, with mold usually growing in them, and the bottles are normally so beat up they appear to be frosted. Plus the labels can be tough to remove (but nothing like the labels on Pete's Wicked Ale - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21872).

On the plus side, they are as tough as nails.

I usually buy good micros and harvest the bottles from them. Considering that my LHBS will sell a case of 24 empty bottles for ten bucks, I like to think I am buying a case of quality micro for fifteen or twenty plus the cost of the bottles, which I would have spent anyway.

Hmmm. Re the colour of beer bottles. It has nothing to do with sunlight. It is simply a "LAW" from way back that said "beer bottles" shall be brown for identification purposes. I have bottled many beers in clear bottles. "corona" for one. Sunlight has no effect. [ at least not in the first 12 months!!!! ]

skyhawk said:
Hmmm. Re the colour of beer bottles. It has nothing to do with sunlight. It is simply a "LAW" from way back that said "beer bottles" shall be brown for identification purposes. I have bottled many beers in clear bottles. "corona" for one. Sunlight has no effect. [ at least not in the first 12 months!!!! ]

Cat amongst the pigeions!

Returnables are preferred because they are designed to be Multi use and withstand joe public throwing them around. They are generally stronger then non returnables.

Let a Corona sit in the sun for a few minutes then taste it. You will understand what skunky beer is.
You can use any color bottle you want. Just keep any of the non brown bottles out of direct light and you will be fine.

Back