Pilsner or Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
What if you try to brew a pilsner but can't keep the temperature in the 40s or 50s, but in the low-mid 60s? What's the lightest flavored beer you can make in the 60's? I would like to showcase some particular hops and I was going to make a generic pale ale until I started reading about pilsner.

Basically, I want to do two side-by-side batches. One all amarillo and one all simcoe, including dry hopping each batch. So, my greater question is "what is the best beer type to make in order to best showcase the hops?"

you don't have to ferment pilsner extract or malt in lager temperatures. it is most commonly used for lagers, but you can certainly use it for ales. but, you normally need to boil it longer to prevent DMS in the beer, so i'd stick to gold extract since it's made from 2-row. it will showcase the hops fine. if you can, find extra light DME, but gold works fine too.

US-05, Nottingham, K-97 and many other Ale strains are very clean in the low sixties. US-05 is the most hop forward of those.

There is no need to boil any extract over 60 minutes. The DMS was removed in the manufacturing process.

Back