Russian Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Rasputin, Stone, Great Divide Yeti, Elysian Dragon's Tooth (technically not bitter enough, but my fave.) are my top 4.

Grant's used to be on the list... :(

Just had Old Rasputin for the first time earlier this week. It's quite intense.

If you can find it towards Christmas, try to track down Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout. Its not just a beer, its an experience.

Bell's Expedition Stout is very tasty too.

I haven't had to many of this style, but if you can get it I recommend Giant Slayer by Tri City brewing. Beer advocate had two reviews that knocked it, but when I tried it at a tasting it was very good IMO. Or maybe I was already feeling the IPAs...

I've got a bottle in the fridge waiting for just the right time. Maybe tonight.

Old Rasputin's is very good, however I can go to the grocery store here in pick up Stone, Old Rasputin's I have to leave town for.

Sam Smith carries one of the old style RIS. It's not as big and out of control as some of the other beers mentioned. It's EXTREMELY well balanced considering that it has the same ABV as most of the other beers mentioned in this thread.

That being said. I love Old Rasputian, BORIS the crusher from Hoppin' Frog, Yeti from Great Divide, Stone has a great RIS, Expedition Stout by Bells, World Wide Stout by Dogfishhead, there are hundreads of great examples of this style. For the old school english version of the style go with Sam Smith.

I must say that the Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti is one of my favorite beers of all time, it's fantastic.

Old Rasputin if you can locate it... it is my favorite beer on this planet:

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout - North Coast Brewing Co. - BeerAdvocate

Just had Old Rasputin for the first time earlier this week. It's quite intense.

Rasputin for sure! Old Rasputin is currently my favorite beer.

Another +1 for Old Rasputin. My Trader Joe's carries it.

Old Rasputin is by far my favorite. Storm King from Victory is another good one if you can find it.

Old Rasputin's is very good, however I can go to the grocery store here in pick up Stone, Old Rasputin's I have to leave town for.

Sam Smith carries one of the old style RIS. It's not as big and out of control as some of the other beers mentioned. It's EXTREMELY well balanced considering that it has the same ABV as most of the other beers mentioned in this thread.

That being said. I love Old Rasputian, BORIS the crusher from Hoppin' Frog, Yeti from Great Divide, Stone has a great RIS, Expedition Stout by Bells, World Wide Stout by Dogfishhead, there are hundreads of great examples of this style. For the old school english version of the style go with Sam Smith.

One more vote for Old Rasputin I went through several 4 packs of this in the planning and brewing of my RIS. Old Rasputin is great at many different temps depending on what you are eating. Buy a 4 pack ($6-10 depending on your states "sin" tax) and try it out !!!!

-Jason

Yeah, and it really isn't a great representation of the style. I really do recommend Old Rasputin for a good idea of what a good RIS is. Dark Lord is great after it gets a year on it or so. I'm trying to clone it.

I've been too broke to make it Dark Lord day the last 2 years.
Grrr!

I think Avery's Mephistopheles is really damn good too. (another huge understatement)

Also agree on the Bourbon County. I have some 2007s and 2008s in my cabinet.

I'll even throw in a vote for Old Rasputin.
Damn fine beer, and much easier on the wallet.

I think Avery's Mephistopheles is really damn good too. (another huge understatement)

It was good, but spendy. It's also on the extreme edge of the style, so I'd recommend something a bit "lighter" to break in.

This is a great style of beer. For reasons I don't think I have mentioned before, I cannot endorse North Coast (even though that is a good beer), I would have to steer you to Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, but it is only out around the holidays I think.

This is a great style of beer. For reasons I don't think I have mentioned before, I cannot endorse North Coast (even though that is a good beer), I would have to steer you to Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, but it is only out around the holidays I think.

Sounds like you have to mention it now.
Leave us hanging?

Unless it's something like body parts in the beer, I'm sure we'll all keep drinking Old Rasputin anyway.
In fact, I don't think that would stop most of us.
Hell, someone here would probably clone it.

? Inquiring minds want to know?

BCS is a great one...plenty of fantastic brews already mentioned w/ Old Raspy. Some of my favorites: Storm King, 10 Fidy (though I'll take an old chub over it for the buck), GL Blackout Stout, Bells Expedition, Stone, Yeti, Boris, Big Bear (prb the best bang for the buck) & Iron Hill.

North Coast was a sponsor of the 2008 BYO label contest, which I won silver in. I was supposed to recieve an item from them, which they welshed on. In my opinion, that is a lifetime ban, not just because it effected me directly, but because there is no reason this should happen. The head guy for BYO was more than accommodating in trying to work with the brewery, but nothing came of it but several emails between me and the editor. I even reached out to the emails on the North Coast site, which were ignored. I did not need or want anything more than my label in the mag, but this is real bad form in my opinion.

It is a shame too, I really liked several of their products and have good availability to most out here on the east coast.

That was my issue with them. If they do not follow through with the homebrewing community, you can see what kind of people they are.

Hrm. Maybe we should all e-mail them or better yet send them letters...?

I appreciate the intent, but it really is not about any swag or free stuff. It is about what has already happened. With all of the great beer that is out there, I have found some wonderful substitutions for the North Coast beers for me and everyone I can influence.

Brooklyn Chocolate is great, but not an RIS!

Not nearly the bitterness of the RIS style.

Then again, I may be full of ****e... (doubtful).

I just finished off a 22oz Stone RIS and I am completely ****ing blotto. Maybe I should have eaten more today. It's a good beer, the malt flavor is good and the contribution of the roast malt lends a flavor that wavers between chocolatey and ashey in character.

Brooklyn Chocolate is great, but not an RIS!

Not nearly the bitterness of the RIS style.

Then again, I may be full of ****e... (doubtful).

You should contact the BJCP people, apparently you can teach them the style guidelines:

13F. Russian Imperial Stout

Commercial Examples: Three Floyd’s Dark Lord, Bell’s Expedition Stout, North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Stone Imperial Stout, Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, Scotch Irish Tsarina Katarina Imperial Stout, Thirsty Dog Siberian Night, Deschutes The Abyss, Great Divide Yeti, Southampton Russian Imperial Stout, Rogue Imperial Stout, Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout, Great Lakes Blackout Stout, Avery The Czar, Founders Imperial Stout, Victory Storm King, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 13

I just finished off a 22oz Stone RIS and I am completely ****ing blotto. Maybe I should have eaten more today. It's a good beer, the malt flavor is good and the contribution of the roast malt lends a flavor that wavers between chocolatey and ashey in character.

easier to find and a fantastic example as well.

My $0.02 (an I am so far from BJCP)...

Brooklyn is categorized as an RIS, Deschutes Obsidian is qualified as an American stout... less IBU's. Obsidian seems way more bitter than Brooklyn. Both are excellent stouts.

As I said... I do not claim to be a qualified judge, just giving my opinion. Ignore if you would like, no harm done.

If you can find it towards Christmas, try to track down Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout. Its not just a beer, its an experience.

Bell's Expedition Stout is very tasty too.

BCS is tasty if you're willing to wait a couple years for it to be palatable and hopefully not oxidized. Things you have a chance of actually finding on the shelf: Rasputin and GD Yeti

My $0.02 (an I am so far from BJCP)...

Brooklyn is categorized as an RIS, Deschutes Obsidian is qualified as an American stout... less IBU's. Obsidian seems way more bitter than Brooklyn. Both are excellent stouts.

As I said... I do not claim to be a qualified judge, just giving my opinion. Ignore if you would like, no harm done.

I think it's the ABV that makes the difference in almost all (including this one) cases. Obsidian=6.4% Brookyln Black Chocolate = 10.6%

Latest posts

Back