Clasp for dual hinged keezer collar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
I recently converted the GE 7cf freezer from HD with painted 2x6's and chose to make it double hinged (stock hinges connect to collar and door hinges from collar to lid.) I did this because I would like to maintain the ability to revert the freezer back to its original condition. Everything works fine except I need some way to keep the lid from falling back when I lift up the collar. Again, I am looking for something that won't damage the lid, so the obvious choice of just drilling an eye bolt and a hook are out.

Child safety refrigerator lock? Those typically just use double stick tape. You could also probably put it on the inside to hide from view. Not sure what the weight rating on the tape would be, though, particularly in cold temps.

Can ya' post up a pic of the setup?

I'm a visual kind of guy.:)

Here you go.

ForumRunner_20130730_184713.jpg

ForumRunner_20130730_184742.png

ForumRunner_20130730_184755.jpg

ForumRunner_20130730_184809.jpg

Since ya' don't wanna mangle the freezer lid, ( for possible future conversion), I would mount another catch of some sort, ( or another bottle opener), and stretch a DECENT bungee cord between the two,( across the lid, aft of the taps).

It's "outboard" of the hinges enough, that you should have a decent "arm" to fight against the tendency for the lid to fall open.

The factory hinges have a "spring assist open", your other option would be some "spring assist closed" hinges for the lid to the collar attachment point.
I think they are called "gate hinges"..........That's if the freezer lid can stand the stress of those particular hinge springs.

Lookin' like a bungee cord to me!:D

Velcro Straps?

One on each side maybe. The adhesive backed stuff, one side stuck to the collar and one to the lid. 'Seal' the velcro to keep lid and collar as one, 'unseal' velcro to open..

Not the best solution, but no modifications to the freezer..

If the freezer lid has a keyed lock on it, can you make a catch in the collar to keep them married when you lift the collar up?

Ended up just using a single heavy duty velcro strip. Works great! The stock springs are able to hold the weight of everything nicely.

uo4odqe.jpg

Back