Unicorn Piss - Blackberry Wheat Ale with Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifthcircle

Reaction score
UNICORN PISS

This is a simple recipe, that turned out better than I had expected. The keg is nearly empty, after only being tapped for 15 days! It's a beer for wheat beer drinkers that are looking for something a little different. I did not have anyone that tasted it, that did not like it. The only thing I might change on a subsequent brew would be the IBU level. Shoot for 18-20IBU total.

I ended up not boiling off as much as I thought I would and ended up with almost 6gal after all fermentation.
I also did not calculate any additional fermentation from the puree. So for a true 5gal batch, you will have a slightly higher OG.
I wanted a beer with around 4.5%ABV, it would most likely be closer to 5%ABV if you brew more carefully than I do ;)

5lbs White Wheat
4.5lbs US 2Row
.5lb Rye Malt
1lb Rice Hulls

Mash @ 154 for 1hr

Boil for 60min

.5oz Yakima Magnum @ 60 min (approx 22IBU)
Irish moss @ 15min (don't bother, it'll be hazy purple anyway)
1oz Willamette @ 5min (approx 3IBU)

Cool and pitch one rehydrated packet of Safale US-05

Primary ferment for 7 days at 65deg F.
Rack on top of one 3lb can of Blackberry Puree for an additional 7 to 14 days.

Keg or bottle as you prefer.

IMG_0753-L.jpg

Cheers!
5th

Going to brew this on Saturday but going to use fresh blackberries instead. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Awesome! I hope you like it as much as I did. Please let me know how it turns out for you.

I brewed this a couple of weeks ago. Saturday my girlfriend and I went out and picked 3 lbs of blackberries from a few patches around our house. I pureed them, added some vodka and racked 5 gallons on top of it. I've never seen purple krausen before! I can't wait to see how this one comes out.

LovesIPA said:
I brewed this a couple of weeks ago. Saturday my girlfriend and I went out and picked 3 lbs of blackberries from a few patches around our house. I pureed them, added some vodka and racked 5 gallons on top of it. I've never seen purple krausen before! I can't wait to see how this one comes out.

Ok this has been tapped for a week now and I love it. It's very nicely balanced. Thanks for this great recipe!

What flavor did you get from the berries? We're picking some today and I'm interested in adding some to a beer like this. Thanks!

What flavor did you get from the berries? We're picking some today and I'm interested in adding some to a beer like this. Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't see this question!

The blackberry flavor was really subtle, but it did add tartness.

Back