Detroit Metro anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of pub are you looking for?

For brew pubs there are several. The beer companys in Detroit, Royal Oak and Rochester are all good. Bastone in Royal Oak is decent. Dragonmead and Khunhens; both in warren; are excellent. Arbor Brewing is also quite good.

If its a non brewing pub the list isn't bad either. Jocabys near greektown is a cool little german pub. Ashleys in Ann Arbor is great. The Clarkston Union has a great selection. The Cadieux Cafe has a good selection of belgians. Cowleys in Farmington is good. The Box Bar in Plymouth has a good selection but some of thier slower moving beers are not in the best shape.

I am sure I missed some but I think this is a good list.

Dragonmead and Khunhens are good choices.

The Box Bar has a good selection, the food is not great.
There is also an Irish Public House (forgot the name) on Penniman in Plymouth.

I just read last night that Ashleys opened up 2 new locations, one in Woodhaven. And the other is in Westland in the same building that Uno's wasin next to Westland Mall. I can't wait to go ty it. Unfortunatly my wife is pregnant and won't go to beer places with me any more because she says it is like being teased.

Ah, Ashley's. Great tap and bottle selection, great scotch selection, and their Stilton Fries.

Yum.

Khunhens has some good micro brew. My Uncle's nephews are the owners ,which means I'm a complete unknown to them. Heh.

kornkob said:
Is the Stroh's brewery still open?

Heh.

This will tell you the tale of what happened to the actual brewery.

http://www.angelfire.com/de2/detroitpix/Strohs.html

Edit;

Wow, I just found this interesting history of Stroh's from the beginning to 2001
http://home.insight.rr.com/baileypage/Stroh/history.htm

Man, imagine starting a brewing empire for the price that I paid for my complete brewkit and ingredients to brew my first batch ($150). Of of course that was in 1840.

Hey, me and a co-worker are coming up to Sterling Heights area next week.

Anyone want to get together for some brews? :mug:

I can also bring up some samples. Let's see, I have 2 weizens and a Guinness clone bottled. Everything else is in kegs.

Ya the Dragonmead is awesome for sure. I have been there twice and was lucky enough to be able to sample their Armegeddon Cru. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Unfortunately its not exactally a stones throw away for me

The last two time i have been to Khunhens i had a bad service. I used to be a big fan of there beers (when they had it on tap). I went there two weeks ago to have some bitchy waitress tell me they were out of more then half of there beers.

Helmy said:
Ya the Dragonmead is awesome for sure. I have been there twice and was lucky enough to be able to sample their Armegeddon Cru. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Unfortunately its not exactally a stones throw away for me

Dragonmead is ok. I like it becouse it 2min from my house.

homebrewer_99 said:
Somewhere about 13 mile...bar looks great. I think I'll go there.:D

Been there a few times....It's...OK... The beers are so so, and it's loud and jammned. The food's about the same as the beer... Pretty pedestrian (Think Friday's with their own brew.) You see a lot more people in their drinking mixed drinks then in there for the beer, plus they serve commercial beers to there if I recall, There's a miller's ad behind the guy in one of the pictures on the site. And also no pics of the brewery on the site...which shows how important being a microbrewery is to them. I mean they care more about showing off their 32 plasma tv's then their brew kettles.:confused:

I mean I'd rather go there than a chain that only serves only commercial beers. But it's not really a serious beer connoisseur's brewpub.

But that's just my opinion.

Revvy said:
Been there a few times....It's...OK... The beers are so so, and it's loud and jammned. The food's about the same as the beer... Pretty pedestrian (Think Friday's with their own brew.) You see a lot more people in their drinking mixed drinks then in there for the beer, plus they serve commercial beers to there if I recall, There's a miller's ad behind the guy in one of the pictures on the site. And also no pics of the brewery on the site...which shows how important being a microbrewery is to them. I mean they care more about showing off their 32 plasma tv's then their brew kettles.:confused:

I mean I'd rather go there than a chain that only serves only commercial beers. But it's not really a serious beer connoisseur's brewpub.

But that's just my opinion.

I have to agree with everything you say.

In the area you have.
1. Sherwood- over priced and the beer sucks
2. Dragonmead- I like it but i know not everyone is a fan
3. Rodchester, Royel Oak and Detroit brewery (same Owners)- All three palces have the same beer pretty much. The beer is good.
4. Motor City works brewery- I thought the beer was really good ( I just went For the first time last week) and they have a good night life.
5. Woodward brewers- The beer is ok. I have found better beer at the local beer store.
6. Copper canyon- Sucks and hard to find.
7. Kuhnhenn Brewing- Good when they have it. I was there not to long ago and they did'nt have **** maybe three beer on tap.

I think sence I started brewing my own beer I've been spoiled with such good beer that it had to judge brew pubs.

I think if the baraboo is good but if you don't mind driving a little go to Rodchester.
They have a couple pool table and they still might have a smoking room for cigars.

Mustangj said:
I have to agree with everything you say.

In the area you have.
1. Sherwood- over priced and the beer sucks
2. Dragonmead- I like it but i know not everyone is a fan
3. Rodchester, Royel Oak and Detroit brewery (same Owners)- All three palces have the same beer pretty much. The beer is good.
4. Motor City works brewery- I thought the beer was really good ( I just went For the first time last week) and they have a good night life.
5. Woodward brewers- The beer is ok. I have found better beer at the local beer store.
6. Copper canyon- Sucks and hard to find.
7. Kuhnhenn Brewing- Good when they have it. I was there not to long ago and they did'nt have **** maybe three beer on tap.

I think sence I started brewing my own beer I've been spoiled with such good beer that it had to judge brew pubs.

I think if the baraboo is good but if you don't mind driving a little go to Rodchester.
They have a couple pool table and they still might have a smoking room for cigars.

Of your list The two that I like the best are Dragonmeade and Motor City. I've been to all of them on your list except Kuhnhenn's and sherwood's. And also Motor City has really great food to compliment the excellent beer.

I think the ones in Ann Arbor have the best beers of all of them.

I live in Port Huron, around the corner from Quay Street Brewing Company, the beers are pretty good most of the time. Pretty good, not great, but better than berriboo... But do to the "audience" in Port Huron they too sell commercial MBC crap for the boater types... It is kinda sad to be sipping a great micro while a bunch of schlubs are ordering cans of BUD...

Revvy said:
I live in Port Huron, around the corner from Quay Street Brewing Company, the beers are pretty good most of the time. Pretty good, not great, but better than berriboo... But do to the "audience" in Port Huron they too sell commercial MBC crap for the boater types... It is kinda sad to be sipping a great micro while a bunch of schlubs are ordering cans of BUD...

LOL I've been there i know what you mean.

homebrewer_99 said:
So do you want to meet up at Dragonmead some night?

First round's ALWAYS on me! :rockin:

I would but I work Midnights. No drinking on a school night.

When are you thinking?
I'm good for a Dragonmead night!

Final Ab, here I come ;)

I like Dragonmead alot, mostly because of how they got started and how true they stay to their roots.
I'm not a big fan of kuhnhen. It just seems so dirty in there.

Rochester and Royal Oak are personal favorites of mine as well.

capcrnch said:
When are you thinking? I'm good for a Dragonmead night!

Final Ab, here I come ;)

I like Dragonmead alot, mostly because of how they got started and how true they stay to their roots. I'm not a big fan of kuhnhen. It just seems so dirty in there.

Rochester and Royal Oak are personal favorites of mine as well.

We should be in town before sundown...maybe even early afternoon (2 pm) (the drive is about 411 miles give or take...:D) and our evenings are open.

What's your schedule look like time wise? Beer, appateasers, beer, dinner, beer??? You name it...:D

We're staying up the street a bit between 13 and 14 Mile.

homebrewer_99 said:
We should be in town before sundown...maybe even early afternoon (2 pm) (the drive is about 411 miles give or take...:D) and our evenings are open.

What's your schedule look like time wise? Beer, appateasers, beer, dinner, beer??? You name it...:D

We're staying up the street a bit between 13 and 14 Mile.

I'm at work till about 5.. With traffic crap, i'd be looking about 6 before I would be at the mead. At that point, im thinking beer and food for sure :D
I know the owners son, i'll see if I can get you a walk-around of the brewery. I've done it before and it's very cool!

Are you coming in from the south?
If so, watch those f'n roads. I just came from that way not too long ago and gave my truck a beatdown on some of the gaping holes on I-75. It's horrible.

capcrnch said:
I'm at work till about 5.. With traffic crap, i'd be looking about 6 before I would be at the mead. At that point, im thinking beer and food for sure :D
I know the owners son, i'll see if I can get you a walk-around of the brewery. I've done it before and it's very cool!

Are you coming in from the south?
If so, watch those f'n roads. I just came from that way not too long ago and gave my truck a beatdown on some of the gaping holes on I-75. It's horrible.
No, we're coming from west of Chicago...

I've been to D'twa a couple of times...

The tour sounds good...beer and food always do.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
OK, 9:22...we were at the Dragonmead a little late, 6:20, but we made it.

Just left.

Must have missed you.

Wait, are you serious?
I thought it was Thursday we were meeting?
Why did i think it was Thursday?

Dammit, im sorry man.

I've done that tour a bunch of times, it's cool.

You even said Monday in your PM.

It was just me being a moron and not reading. Totally my bad.

Hope you had a few good beers anyway!

capcrnch said:
I've done that tour a bunch of times, it's cool.

You even said Monday in your PM.

It was just me being a moron and not reading. Totally my bad.

Hope you had a few good beers anyway!

How fair away do you live from Dragonmead?

Back