Collected too much wort in my carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justybeer

Reaction score
So, I normally don't drink too much while I am brewing (all grain). However, this weekend I did and did not realize I collected way too much wort in my 6.5 gal carboy. I made a 5 gal batch and ended up with almost 6 gal. Did not take gravity reading and it is fermenting like crazy. Advice!

Get a blowoff tube on it or set it in a tub that will catch the spill and take the bung out. Cool it off if you can, cooler beers ferment slower and make fewer off flavors. Maybe put some cool water in a tub and set the fermenter in that.

So no need to add any sugar? Thank you for replying. Been doing this for 8 years now and have never had too much wort! Thanks again. I am going to have to break out the hydrometer again. Got too arrogant I guess.

Congrats! You made an extra 1/2 gallon of beer. I would not try and add any extra sugars at this point and let it ride.

mbbarnes said:
Congrats! You made an extra 1/2 gallon of beer. I would not try and add any extra sugars at this point and let it ride.

Thank you. I appreciate the positive spin. I will let you know how it turns out.

Give it time it will clear without it...
Congrats on the extra beer.
It like me you will wish you kept notes its the mistake I usually want to repeat:)

OldManBrew said:
Give it time it will clear without it...
Congrats on the extra beer.
It like me you will wish you kept notes its the mistake I usually want to repeat:)

Thanks all! It is going to be an Oaked Bourbon Rye IPA one day......hopefully

Great news, everyone. I am a brainless tool. I got this recipe off hopville and was going over it to see what I can adjust for next time. Turns out it was for a batch size of 6.3 gallons. I collected 6. The recipe is ruthless rye wannabe if you want to check it out.

Latest posts

Back