Popped the top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevfar100

Reaction score
So every brewer I've conversed with has at least one story about finding their airlock across the room... Which happened to me the Monday (day 2) after brewing my first batch ever, BB Irish stout. The bottom of the lock got clogged- I cleared it, re santized and moved the carboy into a spare tub. The lid was off for around 14 hours, and I haven't seen a co2 bubble since the pop (today is day 5). Am I in trouble or can I rdwhahb?

rwdhahb. It's likely your primary fermentation is complete and now the yeasts are feasting on the leftovers (fusel alcohols, diacetyl, etc.). I let my beers sit about three weeks in the primary fermenter on the yeast cake to clean up any of these leftovers.

Thank you! I'm obsessed. I'm going to do my first bunch of brews in primary only, then try a secondary after I get the basics down. If I have this problem again I'll switch to a blow off, as my ceiling is still spotty.
I plan to let the primary be for 3 weeks then bottle. Can't wait for batch #2.

kevfar100 said:
Thank you! I'm obsessed. I'm going to do my first bunch of brews in primary only, then try a secondary after I get the basics down. If I have this problem again I'll switch to a blow off, as my ceiling is still spotty.
I plan to let the primary be for 3 weeks then bottle. Can't wait for batch #2.

Get another bucket and start getting that pipeline going:fro:

Back