Citric Acid, what does it do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fromking

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ive come across a lot of soda recipes calling for citric acid. I experimented by adding 1/8 tsp citric acid to my last 1gallon brew of giner ale and noticed it produced a subtle bitter flavour.

Does anyone know what purpose using citric acid has?

Regards,
:mug:

Hi Everyone,

Ive come across a lot of soda recipes calling for citric acid. I experimented by adding 1/8 tsp citric acid to my last 1gallon brew of giner ale and noticed it produced a subtle bitter flavour.

Does anyone know what purpose using citric acid has?

Regards,
:mug:

It provides some tartness. It's the acid that is in lemon juice. It'd be like giving a squeeze of lemon into the soda to provide some tartness.

Citric acid is in just about all fruits to some degree or another. Adding citric acid to any basic fruit flavor will give a tartness characteristic of fresh fruit.

Citric acid does burn, though and will be bitter if you added it to very hot syrup.

Citric acid is in just about all fruits to some degree or another. Adding citric acid to any basic fruit flavor will give a tartness characteristic of fresh fruit.

Citric acid does burn, though and will be bitter if you added it to very hot syrup.

Well thats the problem then, I simmered it for 30 min with my other ingredients. So I should add it in after the syrup cools down?

Latest posts

Back