more beer beer gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerohelix

Reaction score
Hi guys! I recently purchased teh morebeer.com beer gun: http://morebeer.com/view_product/11864//Deluxe_Counter_Pressure_Bottle_Filler

I believe the system works just fine but there are a few problems I've run into that I could use your help with.

Recently i made a belgian ale and was excited to keg then transfer to the bottles when the need arose. Which was the rationale behind purchasing the beer gun. However I have HUGE problem with foaming, in fact when I fill up the bottle, half of it is foam.

Is this a problem of overcarbonation? Or am I just not utilizing the equipment correctly?

I conditioned my keg at room temperature with priming sugar so I THINK this could be a case of overcarbonation, but I'd just like to make sure.

Thanks!

you need to pressurize the bottles with c02 first at the same pressure your serving pressure is.use the bleed knob on the side to get it to fill slowly once you flip over to the beer side.

Take a look at the bottling station I built to use my MoreBeer Deluxe CPBF:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/bottling-station-counter-pressure-filler-339462/

The last paragraph of my original post describes my procedure for filling the bottles. There is also a video on the MoreBeer web site showing how to use their regular CPBF. Also, it really helps to chill the bottles before filling, and I've heard that cold and wet is even better than cold and dry, though I've never filled dry bottles - they're always wet with StarSan when I fill.

I use the same bottle filler. The whole idea behind a counter pressure filler is to have the keg and bottle at the same pressure...then when you slowly release pressure via the valve on the filler, the beer will start to flow to the area with lower pressure (bottle). In your situation, it sounds like the keg is primed, so we're not really sure the pressure on the keg. You also need to make sure that the bottle is pressurized before switching the ball valve to the beer side. You want to pressurize the bottle, vent co2 to purge, and then switch to the beer side. I've hit the bottle with the beer side before pressurizing and it's all foam.

I think your issue might be related to a pressure difference between the keg and the psi you are using on the gas part of the bottle filler. I force carbonate, so I have the kegs hooked up to 12psi and the filler hooked up to 12psi. When they are equal and the pressure valve closed, no beer should flow. If the gas side pressure on the filler is higher than the keg and you pressurize the bottle and switch to beer, the beer should almost reverse back to the keg. You want the pressures to be as equal as possible so that you can regulate the bottle's pressure a little lower so that beer will start to flow into the bottle.

I use 12psi on 5ft beer line, using cold, wet bottles and get almost no foam.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back