Blue Moon Honey Wheat Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moscoeb

Reaction score
Just had some blue moon honey wheat last night, and dang that's a good summer beer!
I was wondering if anyone had an extract recipe for this beer, the wife actually loved it and would drink it too. I've looked on here, but couldn't find a recipe for it, just some general ideas.
I've gathered a whit beer, orange, and honey. Any ideas in the specifics? Thanks.

So no suggestions or ideas from the pea it gallery? I was wanting to put this together in a month or so. hoping someone will chime in!

I brewed a honey wit hoping that it would be close to the blue moon for my wife as well. I used 3lbs of xlight dme, 3lbs of bavarian wheat dme and 2lbs of honey for the full boil. An out of sweet orange peel and 0.9oz crushed corriander both added at 15 minutes. Bottled last week and the flat sample I had was promising. Not sure on the final product for a couple more weeks though.

oze152 said:
I brewed a honey wit hoping that it would be close to the blue moon for my wife as well. I used 3lbs of xlight dme, 3lbs of bavarian wheat dme and 2lbs of honey for the full boil. An out of sweet orange peel and 0.9oz crushed corriander both added at 15 minutes. Bottled last week and the flat sample I had was promising. Not sure on the final product for a couple more weeks though.

Sounds good with my limited knowledge, definitely keep me posted in how it turns out!
What do you mean by out of sweet orange peel?
And did you preheat the honey un some water prior to adding to the boil?

Sorry that was supposed to be 1oz of orange peel. I put the container that the honey was in into hot water for about 10 minutes prior to adding it to the boil so that it pours out of my conttainer and into the brew kettle easily. Then use my spoon to scrape the sides of the container a little.

oze152 said:
Sorry that was supposed to be 1oz of orange peel. I put the container that the honey was in into hot water for about 10 minutes prior to adding it to the boil so that it pours out of my conttainer and into the brew kettle easily. Then use my spoon to scrape the sides of the container a little.

Ahh! D%#n auto correct!! :)
Sounds good and simple. Let me know how it is, I may have to try it for my wife when I finally have a free fermenter.

I haven't tried Blue Moon Honey, but I am planning on doing a Blue Moon style for my next brew, and the recipe I ended up putting together after scouring the forums for information calls for around 2-2.5 lbs of honey. Hopefully it will turn out well! :mug:

Is there honey in the regular blue moon?
I'm hoping to try this in a month or so. Gotta keep the missus happy!

There is no honey in the regular blue moon. I'm hoping to fire up a clone soon. Just 2 row, wheat, oats, coriander, orange, and a pack of US-05. Simple.

KPSquared said:
There is no honey in the regular blue moon. I'm hoping to fire up a clone soon. Just 2 row, wheat, oats, coriander, orange, and a pack of US-05. Simple.

Gotcha, do you know of any other additions to the honey wheat besides the honey? Or are all the other ingredients the same?
I was planning on the same as your with 2-3lbs of honey.

Tried to make a honey wheat tonight.

1 lbs flaked oats
.5 lbs wheat. Both 30 min at 150*

3.3 lbs extra light LME
3 lbs extra light DME
.5 oz hallertau 60 min
.5 oz cascade 60 min

1.5 oz sweet orange peel 7 min
.5 corriander 7 min

3lbs orange blossom honey flameout
.5 oz hallertau flameout
.5 oz cascade flameout

Belgian witbier yeast

OG sample tasted excellent, good honey and orange taste. Dunno how close to blue moon this will be, but I think it's gonna be awesome anyways!

IBU was 17

Estimated OG was supposed to be .051 but I got .074! I think it's from all the crap in the cylinder throwing it off.

Anyways, can't wait till I try this in a few months.

Well, tried it today. I think it has a touch too much orange peel. There was a bitter aftertaste that tasted just like orange peel. Everything else was very good. I think I will try and adjust the sweet peel down to 1oz and try again!

Not really a blue moon clone per se, but very good anyways.

Back