5L mini keg priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrVix

Reaction score
I just picked up a couple 5 Liter mini kegs. If someone that is currently using these mini kegs could tell me how they prime. I am curious how much sugar you use and what type of sugar you are using. I have used the CO2 calculators already but I would like to hear from someone that has experience with the little kegs.

Hi

Priming is a volume of beer sort of thing. The container really does not impact that at all unless you don't fill it all the way. Usual advice on sugar applies, it's all the same stuff, go cheap.

Bob

Everything that I have read says that priming these mini-kegs is NOT like bottle priming, and that they tend to over-carbonate or pick up flavors from the high volume of sugars used. That is why I wanted some advice from someone that is currently using mini kegs.

I used them (for one batch)... I was told to carbonate as if you only put 1 gallon into them (even though you put more in)... I also believe I was told to keep the CO2 volumes under 2.5... That wasn't an issue for me, but I would advise targeting the low end, or no more than the middle, of the style range (keeping it under 2.5 volumes)...

carlisle_bob, not true at all. Bottling 5 gallons of brew into long necks/bottles uses more sugar than putting 5 gallons into a keg.

I just picked up a couple 5 Liter mini kegs. If someone that is currently using these mini kegs could tell me how they prime. I am curious how much sugar you use and what type of sugar you are using. I have used the CO2 calculators already but I would like to hear from someone that has experience with the little kegs.

where did you get them? i want a small keg.

There's actual science behind this. Look at any of the calculation tool sites and compare the results for bottles and then for keg. It has to due with the larger volume and less overall head space involved.

Personally, I simply force carbonate via the two week set and forget method. Solid results from that. Plus I don't need to worry about any yeast still being viable in order to carbonate.

There's actual science behind this. Look at any of the calculation tool sites and compare the results for bottles and then for keg. It has to due with the larger volume and less overall head space involved.

Personally, I simply force carbonate via the two week set and forget method. Solid results from that. Plus I don't need to worry about any yeast still being viable in order to carbonate.

Hi

I'm not arguing that there's science involved. I included "fill" as one of the qualifiers in my original post. Given that people fill both bottles and kegs to VERY different levels (just check out Youtube ...) it's tough to attribute this or that headspace to a keg vs a bottle.

Bob

Come on!...somebody on this Forum has to be using 5L mini-kegs. Give me some feedback.

I use them. I prime them with a 1/3 of the sugar I would use to bottle. I do use coppers drops. I use 3 for a liter bottle so a third would be 5 drops per mini keg. I recently had a mini keg bomb so I reduced to 4 drops per minikeg without any ill effects.

Like I said, I used them once. After that they sat empty due to the array of issues making them more trouble than they were worth. I started kegging with actual kegs last summer and haven't looked back. I do bottle some from faucet/keg but most goes from tap to glass. Save the money you would spend on those and put it towards an actual real keg system.

Golddiggie said:
Like I said, I used them once. After that they sat empty due to the array of issues making them more trouble than they were worth. I started kegging with actual kegs last summer and haven't looked back. I do bottle some from faucet/keg but most goes from tap to glass. Save the money you would spend on those and put it towards an actual real keg system.

Thanks man. im still searching for that sweet deal.

Dang those are expensive! I wanted a little keg so I got one of those Coors Light home draft things from a buddy. Works great and looks just like a party pig.

I fill it just before use from my keg. Works great if you already keg but I doubt you could carb in them.

I got mine full of beer (or rootbeer - Virgil's is my favorite) then figured they were "free" so I'd better use them.
I got a paint-ball CO2 bottle and adapters from KegConnection.com and assembled a brass tee to allow CO2 in, and beer out (thread elsewhere on this site)
Force carbonate when I make soda, natural carbonate when I fill them with beer.

1/2 sugar called for with bottles -- I put the priming sugar in the bottling bucket, transfer in the beer, fill the 5L minis then bottle the rest (if any) with a little extra priming guestimated in.

The last time I primed with full bottle priming, the 5L minis over carbed, and one of them ballooned out -- no leaks, and we drank the beer (of course) but the keg was too oddly shaped to use again.

I was unaware of the priming of these kegs the first one I used it. I bought them of if a more experienced brewer and he forgot to in form me and I invited my family over to try my wheat beer that I was so very proud of and I had to clean it off the walls as they were arriving. Haha. But I heard 1/3 the sugar too. But have yet to put it to the test. I will be bottling in them again soon so wish me luck!

Hi

If you put in 1/3 the sugar you normally would use, that will give you 1/3 the CO2 volume. Normal carbonation is in the 2 to 3 volumes range. 1/3 the sugar will give you one volume. That's not going to give you much in the beer at all.

Bob

Everything that I have read says that priming these mini-kegs is NOT like bottle priming, and that they tend to over-carbonate or pick up flavors from the high volume of sugars used. That is why I wanted some advice from someone that is currently using mini kegs.

I haven't read that, but I will concur. I primed my last batch like I was bottling it. The first keg I used was completely over-carbonated. I never had to attach the CO2 to empty it and each pour took about 10 minutes to have the head settle. I'll try again with about 1/3 the amount.

On a side note, they sell the pressure relief bungs that only allow them to pressurize/carbonate to about 2.5 volumes. I was going to buy some, but I'll be back to my kegging equipment next year. So it's kind of moot to do so. Although I may just buy them anyway. I like spending money I don't need to for some reason.

Hi

If you put in 1/3 the sugar you normally would use, that will give you 1/3 the CO2 volume. Normal carbonation is in the 2 to 3 volumes range. 1/3 the sugar will give you one volume. That's not going to give you much in the beer at all.

Bob

Bob, using these is NOT the same as bottles. More like using actual full kegs for carbonating. Since they hold 1.3 gallons you prime them like they hold ONE gallon. So about 25% LESS sugar is used. Using one of the online carbonation sites makes it easy.

Also, if you go over the previously stated CO2 volumes limit on these (far less than glass bottles or other kegs) you increase the potential for keg bombs rapidly. The threshold is far lower than beer bottles.

It really sounds like you've never used these before so do everyone a favor and stfu about it. I HAVE used them before and did look up the info I'm posting (from both resellers and from the manufacturer's of them). While I wouldn't use 1/3 of the sugar for the volume of beer I would keep the parameters in mind. Otherwise have a mop on hand or put these in a plastic bin while carbonating (to make cleanup easier when they pop).

I over-primed one of these once.

The keg was funny shaped and the beer over-carbed but it turned out ok.

Golddiggie said:
Bob, using these is NOT the same as bottles. More like using actual full kegs for carbonating. Since they hold 1.3 gallons you prime them like they hold ONE gallon. So about 25% LESS sugar is used. Using one of the online carbonation sites makes it easy.

Also, if you go over the previously stated CO2 volumes limit on these (far less than glass bottles or other kegs) you increase the potential for keg bombs rapidly. The threshold is far lower than beer bottles.

It really sounds like you've never used these before so do everyone a favor and stfu about it. I HAVE used them before and did look up the info I'm posting (from both resellers and from the manufacturer's of them). While I wouldn't use 1/3 of the sugar for the volume of beer I would keep the parameters in mind. Otherwise have a mop on hand or put these in a plastic bin while carbonating (to make cleanup easier when they pop).

So do you have an amount you do?

All this discussion and still not one person has posted the actual amount of priming sugar that they use per keg. If anyone uses these mini-kegs...please tell me the amount of priming sugar that you use per keg. Don't tell me what will happen if I use too much, I already know what will happen! That's why I am asking for a specific amount per keg for most styles of beer.

I told you i used 4 to 5 coopers drops. But since you can't seem to understand.
You need to calculate the amount of sugar you'll need to use when bottling the same volume in this case 5l. Then use 1/3 of that for your minikeg.

akavango...I have a fairly lofty IQ and I understand plenty. As I stated I use corn sugar not coopers drops. That is why I specifically asked about sugar and not coopers drops.

Then go to a priming calculator, check the style of beer your are making and calculate the amount for 5l. Then use a third of it.

The amount of priming sugar will change from beer to beer. So unless you specified what beer you want to keg. No one can give you a exact answer.

Do your own research now.

Hi

There is an enromous differance between using 1/3 the sugar (one pound instead of 3 pounds) and using 1/4 less sugar (three pounds insteand of four). That's what I was trying to clarify.

Bob

I have these and I use them the legs themselves are on their third batch through them the first time I used them I used half of the 4.5 ounce priming sugar that came with my brew kit second time I wanted a higher carbed beer an used 3.5 ounces and that was too much this time around I mini kegged half a batch of Austin Homebrew clone of summertime kolsch and I used 2.5 ounces the other half I bottled. I have six mini kegs and what I have been doing is kegging half of the batch and bottling the other half.

I have had no keg bombs odd bulges or ill effects from using the mini kegs and I also use the party star tapper as well. Mixed success there make sure you have a good seal.

I buy some of my kits from William's Brewing in CA. Their recommendation is 2 oz. of priming sugar if you're kegging. Of course, that's for a 5 gallon batch, so 5 liters would work out to about 1/2 oz.

I asked a guy at work how much sugar I should use he said 1oz so that's what I did and I guess we will see how it goes. That is also for just one keg.

tjt_88 said:
I asked a guy at work how much sugar I should use he said 1oz so that's what I did and I guess we will see how it goes. That is also for just one keg.

It's a little less than I use 2.5 ounces for two kegs if I were to take the entire five gallons to four kegs I would still only use the 2.5. As I have said I have gone a high as 3.5 ounces but that was way way over carbed.

As you get more comfortable using the mini kegs don't be afraid to go up and down with the carbonation just don't over do it.

Thanks nianticcardplayer...thats what I was looking for, some input from someone that was actually using the little kegs. There is no way I could use what the priming calculator recommends. I knew that was way too much. I have already kegged this batch. I used 1 oz. corn sugar per keg....I'll know what the result is in about a month. Thanks for the info.

Well it has been 1 month. I just tapped the mini keg and it is WAY overcarbed! I can definately say from this experience that 1 tablespoon or about 1/2 of an ounce of sugar is would be sufficient priming sugar for one of these 5L mini-kegs.

That's no good I need to see how mine are doing. I'll prob do that this weekend. I know the bottles that I did were a little under carbed. What beer did you do?

When you primed did you batch prime in 5 gallons ? Or did you individually prime when I prime I batch to all 5 gallons fill two keys and then for bottling I add the rest of the priming sugar to batch for bottling.

It is a Pale Ale. I primed each 5L mini individualy. Its drinkable but way over carbed. I didn't batch prime because I was also bottling. I really think that 1 tablespoon in each keg would have been sufficient. I just popped the top bung and vented it for several hours. Oh well....Brew and Learn.

Back