The IPA That Just Won't DIE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I have my latest Blue Moon Extract clone at the ready and I am Jonesin' to try it! But the GD IPA just WON'T die! It seems like a bottomless keg! It might be time to convert to a keezer. This 2 keg capacity is just not working for me!

It will die when you least expect it. It'll also be the one time you really really want that IPA.

Then your other keg will die at exactly the same time for some reason. Then you'll be annoyed.

paulster2626 said:
It will die when you least expect it. It'll also be the one time you really really want that IPA.

Then your other keg will die at exactly the same time for some reason. Then you'll be annoyed.

+1 Ride the wave. Life's too short to rush a keg.

I find that my IPA lasts longer as well. It's such a high flavor, high ABV beer that I find I usually only drink 1 per session and follow it with something lighter.

Paulster's right too...It'll kick right when you're really craving one.

Try having 2 kegs, and only one tap....That way if one of your beers in your pipeline screws up, you have to wait until it's done to have any of it. No fun. :mad:

Paulster is right on. Enjoy that IPA. There will be kegs that kick out just when you least expect it and you'll be sad. The Wit will last for a while. Keep it cold if you can.

There is always the keg in the kitchen trash can trick. Put the keg in the trash can, add ice, and after a few hours it's cold. And picnic tap and enjoy! I've even seen people cut a keg-sized opening in the top of a cooler so the ice lasts longer.

Paulster's right too...It'll kick right when you're really craving one.

Try having 2 kegs, and only one tap....That way if one of your beers in your pipeline screws up, you have to wait until it's done to have any of it. No fun. :mad:

Try having 3 kegs and only 2 taps!

No wait, that's better, not worse... :cross:

Try having 3 kegs and only 2 taps!

No wait, that's better, not worse... :cross:

I was gonna say....you lucky dog lol. :drunk: When funds allow I'll be getting a gas manifold and another tap and shank though. Looks like I'm gonna need it soon too...I have 3 batches fermenting as we speak.

I know I'm being *that guy*--but seriously, you're rushing thru a keg of IPA in order to drink Blue Moon?!?! :drunk:

Thanks for the replies. This is my signature IPA. I ALWAYS have it as one of my 2 beers on tap. But I have a Farmhouse Ale on the other tap that has 3-4 gallons left. I have another batch of the same IPA in the closet waiting for an opening. The Blue Moon is awesome and never lasts more than a few weeks. I tapped it on a Friday once for a party and the entire 5 gallons went in that party. It is really loved by all. I just need a keezer!

Homercidal said:
Hey, man, don't judge!

Not really hatin'. I've drunk my fair share of Blue Moon & will again. He'll, my taps right now are a pale mild (just drank a freakin' LITER and not even buzzed, just relaxed--can't do that w/ my IPA!) and a Hefeweisse.

Just had to tease a little. Plus, I'm impressed with the pipeline our man has built. Drink on, sir!

I have the same setup as you and I run into this problem all the time. Check out this thread if you haven't already: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Normally if I feel the keg is almost kicked I can get a 6 pack bottled, sometimes a 12 pack. This way you don't need to rush through some good beer and you can even age it a little bit! :ban:

+1 to this. Bottle it up, or even get another keg and just switch it out for a week or three. no reason to "force" down good beer.

Well last night I decided to Growler whatever was left. I have three growlers. So when the first is 1/2 full wouldn't you know it, the keg kicks! So my Blue Moon will be ready in a few days.

Try bottling the last few beers and keg the new stuff. I know how ya feel, I can't drink stout after the last 10gal run. I cann't even look at a dark beer.

Back