Wyeast substitution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
My goal is to brew a Heffe ....7# German Wheat & 4# German Pils.

My LHBS was out of Wyeast 3068 so I picked up 3333. Now I am concerned that I wont really be making a heffe and get that bananna / clove flavors.

There is another lhbs that sells white labs only so I can head out and see what their inventory is like but just curious how the 3333 would alter the brew from 3068.

Any insight on this?

My goal is to brew a Heffe ....7# German Wheat & 4# German Pils.

My LHBS was out of Wyeast 3068 so I picked up 3333. Now I am concerned that I wont really be making a heffe and get that bananna / clove flavors.

There is another lhbs that sells white labs only so I can head out and see what their inventory is like but just curious how the 3333 would alter the brew from 3068.

Any insight on this?

I always use the 3068 and never the 3333. A little research on the 3333 is that it is a slow yeast that makes a non banana/clove sour sulfury wheat beer and then flocs out well which is completely out of character. Other than that it is a great yeast.

SO, if you don't want to drive maybe use it anyway, underpitch and ferment it warm and see what gives on the flavor. maybe 68 f ferment. Those are ideas to maximize more the banana. Clove is produced more at lower ferment temps...

Thanks for the help. My other lhbs had white labs wlp 300 so I made the trip over there. Now I guess I need a recipe for the 3333 yeast! I love this game.....

The 300 is my Fav wheat yeast. Make sure you have adequate head space in your fermenter. That strain is notorious for going balls out

Thanks for the help. My other lhbs had white labs wlp 300 so I made the trip over there. Now I guess I need a recipe for the 3333 yeast! I love this game.....

All Grain 5 gallon Honey Raspberry Wheat

5 lbs pils
3 lbs wheat

1 lb honey in secondary - mix in 2 cups water heat to 150 F add 5 lbs frozen raspberries reheat to 150 F cool to 70 add to batch ferment 2-3 weeks

I've used 3068 and 3638, but never 3333. If you up the temp and underpitch, bottle (not keg) and swirl the last 1/3 of the bottle to kick up the yeast (which as far as I'm concerned you should be doing for a hefe anyway), I could see it working in a hefe. But based on the description from Wyeast, I'd probably go for a weizenbock, or a rye beer, or just set out from the start to make a kristallweizen. If the esters are muted it might work well in a more American style wheat beer.

Back