Green Flash : Hop Head Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooo, let me try!

7lb Pale Ale malt
3lb light Munich malt
1lb Crystal 120 (yes, 1lb)
50 IBUs of your favorite American bittering hops 60min
1oz Amarillo 8% 10min
1oz Amarillo 8% dry-hop 7 days

Mash 153F, English Ale yeast @68F

where'd you pull this from?

Pulled it outta my ass...

But I brewed Austin Homebrew's Riwaka Red, and I bought a six pack of Hop Head and had them side by side. HH is MUCH more dextrinous than RR (and RR has maltodextrin!), and obviously the hops are different, but they're essentially identical grainbills to my palate.

Would love to hear how this turned out...I love this beer and I also had Pursuit of Hoppiness from Grand Teton. Both are fantastic highly hopped reds and I want my next brew to be similar...

I'd say that recipe is pretty close. It definitely has that plum dried fruit flavor in it that must be from the Crystal 120 or maybe Special B. I have a recipe that I feel is pretty close here. Mash on the high side at around 154 to 156. I'd love feedback if anyone brew's my recipe on what they would tweek as I love that damn GF Hop Head Red!

Buddy of mine brewed this last weekend, don't recall where he got it (he definitely didn't make it up himself) so I don't know whom to credit:

Amarillo Red Ale

Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale Clone

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
62% 8 0 American Two-row Pale
23% 3 0 Munich Malt
8% 1 0 Flaked Oats
2% 0 4 American Crystal 120L
2% 0 4 American Crystal 40L
2% 0 4 American Crystal 80L
0% 0 1 Chocolate Malt
12 13
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Color
14° SRM / 27° EBC
(Copper to Red/Lt. Brown)

hops
60 mins 1.0 Chinook
10 mins 0.5 Amarillo
5 mins 0.5 Amarillo
1 min 1.0 Amarillo
dry hop 3.0 Amarillo
Bitterness
63.7 IBU / 13 HBU

Yeast
Wyeast American Ale II

You can find the recipe for the IPA here

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-green-flash-west-coast-ipa-175363/

I suggest looking at the varieties and quantities used in the IPA, because logic dictates there would be a lot of carry over to the #2 beer in the portfolio.

If I had to guess, I would say it is bittered with Columbus, and finished with a combination of Columbus and Amarillo (Columbus/Amarillo seems like a pretty popular blend for West Coast style ambers - see O.B.'s Gordon). I believe the brewer talked about layering hops through the boil, so it would probably be a little more complex than just a 60 + whirlpool regiment. I would not be surprised if the dry hop was only Amarillo (I think it specifies that on the bottle neck) - probably at a minimum of 2 oz per 5 gallons.

For the malt, carapils is used in a pretty big quantity in the IPA, and as someone else noted, the Red also has a ton of body. The IPA also uses C40, and I would assume the Red uses the 40 as well, probably in addition to some dark crystal.

Finally, their house yeast was specifically mentioned - WLP001.

I don't have access to a program right now to check my numbers, but I bet this will get you close to Green Flash's stats. To me this beer tastes like a Rager 50 IBU's. My starting point would be something like...

75% Efficiency

10 lbs 2 row
1 lb carapils
1 lb c40
.5 lb c120
1-2 oz UK Pale Chocolate for color adjustment
Mash at 152F

(I also like the blend of 2-row and Munich as a base malt, but I am not so sure that Green Flash uses such a blend....might be a nice touch though to sub out 1-2 lbs of 2 row for an equal amount of Munich. It will give you a little closer malt profile to Jamil's Evil Twin)

Bittered w/ ~.5 oz columbus (or something similarly high alpha - Simcoe, Northern Brewer, etc.)
.25 columbus / .25 amarillo @ 20
.5 columbus / .5 amarillo @ 5
.75-1 oz columbus / .75-1 oz amarillo @ 0 for a 10 minute hot whirlpool
2-3 oz amarillo dry hop

(If you can't/won't hot whirlpool for 10 minutes before you begin chilling, push each hop addition after 60 back 10 minutes - ie, 20 becomes 30, 5 becomes 15, zero becomes 10 - actually, even if you plan to follow my original hop time suggestions, use 60/30/15/10 to calculate IBU's - should be around 45/50)

WLP001 fermented at 67/68F

Good luck everyone - this is a great beer, and it would be cool to see a successful clone.

Here's some info straight from Green Flash's brewery...they showed me the info page (i took a photo, hehe)

Hop Head Red
abv - 6%
ibu - 45
srm - 32 (this seems high)??

Hops:
Bittering & Flavoring = nugget and amarrillo
Armomatic = amarillo

Malt Bill:
Dark Crystal, De-husked Carafa (for coloring)

Dry hopped with amarillo.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all the info on the brewery's page. Hope that helps...I too wish to brew this. Will give it a go here in the near future.

Taking many of your comments and examples, with addition of the numbers and hop & grain utilization I received from GF brewery. I have made the following recipe-
http://hopville.com/recipe/1209709/american-amber-ale-recipes/drop-dead-red

...suggestions are of course encouraged / welcome!

Please note my recipe has 6.9gal batch size and a 9.3gal pre-boil volume d/t my BIAB methods and BK setup. Slight modifications may be needed for your system. Also note I have only done about 5 All grain recipes (and read a few books and blogs)....only trust my recipe after a tasting report =) ...I'll post back in about 6 weeks.

I should add that I believe it to be a 90 minute boil. My buddy got a clone recipe from somewhere and the first malt bill looks close....but I think there is a mix of C40 and C80 and/or 120. then bittering at 60, and then all amarillo from there....cali ale yeast.

Try Jamils evil twin recipe.I have that kegged nowand its amazing. Its a hoppy red. Google it and you can find recipe easy

I agree that Jamil's recipe is pretty tasty as well. I do like to clone still, on occasion, but what I've found more appealing as of late is formulating recipes based on what I like about each of these great beers. For instance, I really like the Munich flavor you get in Jamil's Evil Twin, and the dried plum flavor you get from the Crystal 80/120/Special B (whatever it is) that Green Flash uses in the Hop Head Red, and lastly I like the more spicy Rye Malt flavor you get in Founder's Red's Rye (about 15% rye malt)...so combine all three and voila! You get an amazing and unique beer. If you guys are interested, here's my combination recipe:

8# Maris Otter
2# Rye Malt
1# White Wheat Malt
1# Munich
1# Baird's Carastan
.5# Victory
.5# Special B
.5# Carapils

WLP001 fermented at 68F

You choose the hops! I would definitely include Amarillo though, because all three recipes use it and it pairs nicely, but so does Mosaic and rye. My latest batch I used Magnum bittering and Amarillo/Mosaic end of boil and dry hop. Turned out spectacular.

I'm brewing this baby tomorrow!! Can't wait!
So here's the makeup. There will be some adjustments when I actually put water to fire but my thoughts are:
10 lb two row
2 lb Munich
1 lb Cara Pils
.5 lb Crystal 55
.5 lb Crystal 120
1.5 oz. Pale Chocolate

Hops:
1 oz. Columbus @ 60 min.
1.5 oz. Amarillo @ 30 min
1 oz. Nugget @ 5 min
1.5 oz Amarillo - Dry Hop (7 days in 2nd)

Thinking of mashing at 155 or so.
That's about it!

I'm ready for the critics! And thanks for all the info.

Back