First time brewer with a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenKnucklesBrewery

Reaction score
So excited everyone! Brewed my first batch of pale ale on Saturday and it is sitting in my True Brew 6.5gal fermenting bucket now. My Question is how long should I ferment before bottling? Everywhere I read says 1 week and the guy at my local brew store said 2 weeks. The first few days you could see bubbles in my airlock about every 6-12 seconds and now I just get bored standing there waiting to see a bubble. Is it time to bottle? Thanks guys!

Don't bottle until FG has remained the same for a week or so, unless it is abnormally high like in the 1.030s or higher.

i always give mine 4 weeks in the primary. gives the yeast time to ferment, then eat itself out (literally), then settle

Generally it will take 2 weeks or more. I don't even measure gravity till 3 weeks, and try to wait another week. The longer you can wait, the better/clearer it'll be. It is your first brew, so I know how hard it is to wait. I suggest 3 or 4

don't get to excited or you will pop your cap before it is time. let it work and make itself worth the effort.

I had the same impatience when I brewed my first batch. So what I did was I bottled half of the batch after 1 week and transferred the remaining to a secondary. Result - the 1 week batch sucked...the secondaried batch was ok...not great!

So on my second batch I left it in the primary for 3 weeks and bottled....the result was fantastic.

So I would strongly leaving it there for 3 wks. If you are impatient try experimenting by bottling half of it and leaving the rest as is. Each batch should be a learning expr.

Dj

When fermentation slows 5 days to 1 wk raise the temp and let it sit for a week to finish then do a reading to see if it has terminated and bottle or crash cool and keg.. Good luck

Back