Spice Tea Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
Hey all, brewed a pumpkin spice amber ale this weekend..will be doing a spice tea in the secondary but I've never done one and had a couple of questions.

1) Can you stir the mixture in without introducing too much oxygen..I figure you would have to stir with the lack of motion due to fermentation being over.

2) How long until you bottle after adding? Does the spice fade with time? Could you add it to taste right into your bottling bucket (would take care of mixing) and then add the priming sugar after and give it a quick stir?

Thanks!

#2) This. Mix the priming sugar with the tea and then heat it up to drive off O2. Cool it and rack the beer into the spice tea/Primer to resolve the mixing. And bottle it.

#2) This. Mix the priming sugar with the tea and then heat it up to drive off O2. Cool it and rack the beer into the spice tea/Primer to resolve the mixing. And bottle it.

My only problem with that would be 'spicing to taste' wouldn't the sugar throw me off a bit?

Contemplating the same thing. Just brewed a Pumpkin Porter during the hurricane. It's bubbling away right now. I was thinking about racking to secondary on top of a pumpkin spice tea for extra pumpkin pie flavor... I steeped organic pumpkin puree in a hop bag on top of some 6 Row and steeped debittered black, chocolate and crystal in another bag. I added a teaspoon each of allspice and nutmeg and a cinnamon stick with 7 minutes left in the boil. It smelled awesome! I have an extra can of organic pumpkin so I figured I'd put it to use in a tea with some spices and then strain it and rack on top of it. Here's the recipe I used, gravity reading was 1.050:

6.6 lbs Briess Porter LME
1 lbs Pale 6 Row
4 oz. Crushed Debittered Black Malt
4 oz. Crushed Chocolate
4 oz. Crushed Crystal 120L
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. Nutmeg
2 teaspoons Irish Moss
30 oz. Canned Organic Pumpkin Puree
½ oz. Northern Brewer (Bittering)
1 oz Willamette (Flavoring)