Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN0830.JPG

This is the pellicle on my Oud Bruin at 2 months.

My latest wild innoculation (From the cellar), scotch ale base was at 8.24% when the pellicle formed, this one will be interesting as it's the first higher abv brew I've infected.
6046290063_d2fcfc7edb_b.jpg

My latest wild innoculation (From the cellar), scotch ale base was at 8.24% when the pellicle formed, this one will be interesting as it's the first higher abv brew I've infected

Was this an accidental inoculation or purposeful? Looks like a health strain whatever it is!

BW

Was this an accidental inoculation or purposeful? Looks like a health strain whatever it is!

BW

This one was purposeful, the initial fermentation didn't turn out as I wanted so I simply moved it to the cellar, removed the airlock and placed a piece of tinfoil over the neck, the pellicle formed after a couple of weeks. Initial ferment was with some juniper yeast (from jalapeno blonde ale) that I didn't wash thoroughly enough (residual jalapeno flavour):drunk:.

Have I just joined this club? What does everyone recommend I do here? Lacto?

Its a big American Stout that has been in 2ndary for like 5-6 months, for various reasons including laziness and not wanting to waste a keg on a stout I wont be drinking in the summer anyway. Maybe I should siphon form under ther film and bottle? Ive not tasted it yet bc Im worried about contaminating my siphon.

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

My latest wild innoculation (From the cellar), scotch ale base was at 8.24% when the pellicle formed, this one will be interesting as it's the first higher abv brew I've infected.
6046290063_d2fcfc7edb_b.jpg

Would this be a lacto? I've had a similar-looking pellicle on my batches using White Labs Irish Ale....it appeared on my Irish Blonde, Strawberry Blonde, and Irish Draught Ale.....still have a jar of the yeast in the fridge I'm keeping alive for a Dry Stout. The beer tastes fine (a little over-carbonated with larger than usual bubbles)....wondering if this might be from the yeast re-use and whether I should buy some acid to properly wash the yeast or should just buy a new tube....

This is growing on my sour blend. Combination of various bottle dregs and roeselare. Its either 6 or 7 months old now. Condensation makes it hard to get a good picture. Do they normally start out from the side like that or should I be worried about it?

view from top:
IMG_3027.jpg

View from side:
IMG_3031.jpg

Have I just joined this club? What does everyone recommend I do here? Lacto?

Its a big American Stout that has been in 2ndary for like 5-6 months, for various reasons including laziness and not wanting to waste a keg on a stout I wont be drinking in the summer anyway. Maybe I should siphon form under ther film and bottle? Ive not tasted it yet bc Im worried about contaminating my siphon.

photo-1.jpg

Should I move this fermenter to a different room? It happens to be stored in the same small room as my mash tun siphon, siphon tubing etc.

I really dont want to have to replace all my equipment.

Should I move this fermenter to a different room? It happens to be stored in the same small room as my mash tun siphon, siphon tubing etc.

I really dont want to have to replace all my equipment.

Great question - I only have one air conditioned closet for a storage room, transfer room, fermentation chamber, bottle aging room, and ingredient storage......if carboys are kept properly capped/airlocked, how likely ARE these extra bugs to migrate?

These are two of mine... One's a mix of lots of different bugs in 5 gallons the other is the white labs Belgian sour mix I in about a half gallon of the same wort. Both are about 6 or so months in the fermenters. The sour blend looks thick and nasty... Not like mold... But anything's possible I suppose. The wort wouldn't fit in the kettle, and the bugs were out of date and half price.

I should have another batch of a quicker sour going later this week or next, last time around, that one had a nice pellicle on it by two weeks.

image-179922065.jpg

image-3171790550.jpg

image-3422693900.jpg

Also.. Someone left a half-finished glass of (potentially already infected...) beer out at the homebrew shop where I work over the holiday weekend and this beauty showed up:

image-1231908287.jpg

I threw it in a sanitized old yeast vial and brought it home to grow up and see what comes of it. It makes me what else I could pick up in there... But... That's definitely one of the prettiest growths I've ever seen on a beer. It smells mostly lactic, though there could be a hint of vinegar in there, too.

JP_pellicle_Bam_Biere.jpg

My Bam Biere clone. This is about one month after adding the dregs.

If anyone is wondering, I wrap the stopper/fermenter interface with sanitized plastic for giggles.

Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but we seem to have accidentally created a pellicle in a couple of unrelated beers we've made over the last couple of weeks - stout, fall pumpkin and an Irish red. What exactly is it that creates the pellicle and how could we have accidentally created one? I'm guessing we have a sanitation issue, but we're just looking for where it could have come from. Thx!

Sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but we seem to have accidentally created a pellicle in a couple of unrelated beers we've made over the last couple of weeks - stout, fall pumpkin and an Irish red. What exactly is it that creates the pellicle and how could we have accidentally created one? I'm guessing we have a sanitation issue, but we're just looking for where it could have come from. Thx!

Yeah, it would come from sanitation issues. I doubt that anyone can say where exactly the issues may occur, but I would replace all plastic and ramp up sanitation efforts, if you keep getting these infection issues. I'm a big fan of Star San, what do you use for sanitation?

something a little different here - I made a batch of cider from pasteurized, unfiltered juice to which I added red star montrachet yeast and dregs from a couple bottles of basque cider. about a month later I went to rack the cider and found this (along with an intense funky aroma):

cider.jpg

something a little different here - I made a batch of cider from pasteurized, unfiltered juice to which I added red star montrachet yeast and dregs from a couple bottles of basque cider. about a month later I went to rack the cider and found this (along with an intense funky aroma):

cider.jpg

Looks to be lacto.

We had been using iodophor but recently switched to starsan. We get to go over everything this week and clean, disinfect and sanitize everything post-boil. Hooray! Also, to your point about replacing plastic, I've heard that once you have an infection like this one should trash all plastic or "Better Bottles" that the infection had been in, since they're more porous than glass or stainless and it's more difficult to remove it from plastic than stainless or glass. Agree?

You just managed to scare someone in a pellicle thread.... Well done sir.
ironic indeed! here's one of what must be lacto on some wine grapes that i pitched a packet of S33 into a week or two ago; very young. there have been a few pics that looked very, very similar to this growth.
DSC00991.jpg

Any idea what this is? Lacto? It's a 6% porter that I split batches with about 3 weeks ago. The other fermenter is fine. Doesn't smell weird, kinda has a fuesely taste.

photo(1).jpg

I know, I can't wait to taste the finished product. It is the best pellicle out of 41 gallons of different sours.

Time to get something else started...

Anybody have any ideas? There were large bubbles on the surface before I disturbed it for a gravity sample and removed it from the swamp cooler. It is Yuri's Thunderstruck pumpkin ale recipe. The yeast was Windsor.

image-3896596043.jpg

image-3173351942.jpg

image-3773008253.jpg

jeepinjeepin said:
Anybody have any ideas? There were large bubbles on the surface before I disturbed it for a gravity sample and removed it from the swamp cooler. It is Yuri's Thunderstruck pumpkin ale recipe. The yeast was Windsor.

Looks like cottage cheese :)

what's it smell and taste like?

Back