max vols of CO2 for Samuel Smith bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
Anyone know how much they can handle? I have a lot of these I'd like to use for Belgians if they will handle more than the average beer bottle.

I don't know if Sam Smith makes any highly carbonated beers--mostly they're the opposite, if anything.

I love those 18.7oz Victorian pint bottles, but I use them for lower or ordinary carb brews.

I don't know if Sam Smith makes any highly carbonated beers--mostly they're the opposite, if anything.

I love those 18.7oz Victorian pint bottles, but I use them for lower or ordinary carb brews.

Yea I know they are not very carbonated beers, but the bottles seem exceptionally thick. It looks about the same thickness as the Belgians. I'll keep trying to find the answer. I would think someone has tried 3.5+ vols of CO2 in these before though. It would be more economical than buying all those Belgian beers or investing in a corker.

I had 3.3 in guiness bottles with no problems, i dont know this one you are talking about, but i think they will hold 3.5, try in just a few and keep them in a closed box to be sure it wont splash all around your place. but personal, i like to keep under 3.3

Old thread, but just in case the OP still wants an answer . . .
I recently bottled a Belgian Tripel with half the batch at about 3 volumes in regular beer bottles, and half of the batch in at a little over 4 volumeschampagne bottles/begian 33cl bottles, and a few sam smith cider bottles. They have been conditioning at a relatively warm 74 degrees for the past month with no sign of problems. I opened a bottle of the 3 volume tripel two weeks ago and it was fully carbed, so I expect by now the 4 volume stuff is fully carbed, too. I'll revise this if I have any issues, but so far it appears safe to go to at least 4 volumes in these bottles.

Those things weigh like a pound........if I was a betting man I'd say you are good to go!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: those statements above do not represent the brewery involved in the statement and are by the individual only. Any decision to act upon such statements are at the sole direction of the poster.

Back