Mail order sashimi grade fish?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Good Eats and I just picked up an old Sushi special. Alton mentioned it's safer to buy the fish flash frozen and mail ordered. I'm sure I could Google it, but if anyone frequently buys fish online, I'd like to get your recommendation. The one thing I'm missing is the little bamboo mats for rolling hand rolls. I got my Nori, short grain rice, and rice vinegar ready to go.

Bobby_M said:
I'm a big fan of Good Eats and I just picked up an old Sushi special. Alton mentioned it's safer to buy the fish flash frozen and mail ordered. I'm sure I could Google it, but if anyone frequently buys fish online, I'd like to get your recommendation. The one thing I'm missing is the little bamboo mats for rolling hand rolls. I got my Nori, short grain rice, and rice vinegar ready to go.

As much as I love cooking and LOVE sushi, it's just one of those things that I (being a guy who lives in Illinois) leaves to the restaurants. Sushi chefs know their **** when it comes to picking out fish that's safe to eat raw.

Good luck to you.

Bobby_M said:
...The one thing I'm missing is the little bamboo mats for rolling hand rolls. I got my Nori, short grain rice, and rice vinegar ready to go.

Can't help with the fish ordering, but I'm pretty sure I've seen those bamboo mats at the local asian food market and even at "World Market".

When i make sushi, i get my fish from Whole foods, its flown in everyday, and they throw the "leftovers" out at the end of the day. Never have had a problem or second guessed the quality of fish (and i live in colorado). If you have never made sushi before....be prepared for: 1) a large mess, 2) The biggest roll you have ever seen (its hard to judge how much of each ingredient to use) , 3) lots o' fun.
Sorry for being no help on the mail order fish thing, but i have always wanted to order from here: http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/index.htm

To be truthful, unless you live on the coast near fishing docks, most if not all of the fish you buy is flash frozen on the boats it is caught on, and a lot of the fish you have at sushi restaurants is too. Modern technology has improved freeze/thaw methods to the point that chefs cannot tell the difference between frozen and fresh fish.

I buy my sushi grade fish at Whole Foods, they have a section of it, at least they do in Boulder. They usually have tuna, salmon, yellowtail, and cooked eel, which covers pretty much all the bases for inexpensive to mid-priced sushi that I like to eat. I also usually buy cooked crab meat.

As for equipment, there are like 3 asian markets in my town, two of which are inevitably closed when I go shopping, but I always find one open that has everything I need.

Mu old roomates and I would throw make-your-own sushi parties. Everyone would bring some fish and sake, we would provide environment, equipment, rice and nori....always a fun party and people would just make rolls if they wanted, cut em up, and everyone would leave drunk (on bicycles of course) and full!

I was just going to suggest Whole Foods ("Whole Paycheck"). Best meat and fish that I've found. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had some sashimi-grade fish that's frozen as well; I've bought some really high-quality, flash-frozen seafood there, but I can't recall if there was any sashima-grade tuna.

Actually, if there was, I'm sure my wife would have purchased it.... but, I'd look anyway ;)

Oh, and I guarantee that you can find those bamboo rolling mats there, too.

I haven't made sushi in a long time... hmm... wifey's birthday this weekend...

Exactly, every decent sushi place around here in fact uses fish in frozen one-pound bricks. I know because I can see them thawing in a bowl of water next to the guy doing the rolling. I'll check out whole foods. I'm surprised I don't have one within 15 miles of me. There is a Wegman's though. Maybe they have something like that.

Wegman's is usually pretty high quality, as well - but in my experience, it's still a step below Whole Foods. You pay a premium for shopping at WF, but for special things like this, it's definately worth it.

Incidentally, the Whole Foods around here has one of the best beer selections in the area; worth checking out for this reason, as well.

:off:

i have a whole foods here in Berkeley. It's on my way home. AWESOME selection. i actually have a lot on my way home. here are my favorites and the usual brews i get:

Berkeley Bowl: Franziskaner, Maudite ($6.45!), lots of craft brews
Whole Foods: Skull Splitter, Belzebuth, Piraat, lots of belgians
Alcatel: Leffe, Kwak, all sorts of specialty imports

I can get Unibroue at all three locations :rockin:

like i said :off: :p

Bobby_M said:
There are plenty of people who don't like raw fish but now that wasn't the question. You'd use $12/lb sashimi grade yellowtail as bait? To catch what?

Chix.

You have a real sharp knife? That's the key.

homebrewer_99 said:
I'm old school American -- we don't eat bait!! :D :D

Me too

Bobby M said:
There are plenty of people who don't like raw fish but now that wasn't the question. You'd use $12/lb sashimi grade yellowtail as bait? To catch what?

You COOK $12/lb yellowtail before you eat it. If your good, you cold smoke it, then COOK it.

If its raw, don't care what kinda fish it is, its bait.

Hey Bobby,
Have you tried the fish market on RT. 18 in East Brunswick?
I see that they recently changed ownership, so I can't speak to the current conditions, but I bought sashimi grade fish from the previous owners.
There's also Wooley's fish market on Rt. 9 in Howell.

Thanks for the suggestions. I realized today that I might have a perfect place. My mother works for Shoprite and her office is right above the fish distribution warehouse. They get stuff in fresh everyday from Fulton St in NY. She told me she can get a hookup for whatever I want... Jeez... aint it good to know people who know people?

fretman124 said:
You COOK $12/lb yellowtail before you eat it. If your good, you cold smoke it, then COOK it.

If its raw, don't care what kinda fish it is, its bait.

Cooking fish is a certain way to ruin the taste. Okay, I do like some types of fish cooked, but one in particular (salmon) is only edible raw. Cooked salmon is NASTY.

That being said, I just got back from a sushi place where I had three rolls and two orders of sashimi tonight. :ban:

i don't really even like fish. unless i catch it, clean it and cook it myself. then it's yummy. i love me some crappie. mmm, mmm.

i can eat tuna and sardines, too.

i guess i don't like expensive fish, lol. weird eh?

Made my first bunch of rolls over the weekend. Found a world class Shoprite that had both yellowfin tuna and salmon in flash frozen, individually vaccuum sealed pouches. I made a bunch of Cali rolls for my pregnant wife before I started hacking up the tuna. It's pretty unbelieivable how cheap it gets when you roll it yourself. We killed 3.5 rolls each. That's nearly $30 worth of sushi for about $9.

I think I'm doing it the EAC way (Well, short of going to school and buying a $5000 knife).

Real short grain rice.
Rice wine vinager.
Nori.
Real wasabi (not the toothpaste version).
Bamboo mat.
Actual raw fish. Of course an EAC would lash me for making Cali Rolls.
Chopsticks.

I should have taken pictures, my rolls looked really authentic even though it took me 3x as long as a pro would.

I saw this and d the first thing I thought of was to update this thread.

http://lunchinabox.net/2006/06/22/williams-sonoma-for-egg-molds/

172892324_36b9cb764c.jpg

There's tips for using various cookie cuttter thingys and egg shapers for making onigiri and shaped eggs for bento.

They'd be great for people that aren't into sushi but still want to be part of the party.

Another good tip for starting out, go get some honeydew melons and cantaloupes and practice rolling these before you move into fish. I did about 10 batches of fruit rolls before I felt really comfortable throwing fish in. It is a blast! Good luck.

I've been rolling maki like nuts since I got all the stuff together. I have been using both tuna and salmon from shoprite that is individually vaccuum sealed and flash frozen and I trust it. The secret is getting the right short grain rice and preparing it properly with sweet ricewine vinegar. It's a lot of work but fun and delicious too.

Back