Blizzard's stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverfrontbrewer

Reaction score
When she gave me these bottles she told me what it was a clone of, but for the life of me I can't remember...one was the base stout, one was the stout w coffee added, and one was the stout w oak and rum (or rum soaked oak cubes?)

Anyway, they were all fantastic...I didn't take detailed notes, but here are a few thoughts:

The rum/oak infused stout, great oak flavor, it tasted like new oak, a little vanilla, from either the wood or the rum.

Coffee infused stout, just had this one last night...she told me to give this one some time as she thought the coffee was a bit strong...that was about a month ago. At this point it has a great nose of a hint of roast, choc, and if she hadn't told me there was coffee in it I don't think I would have guessed it just from the nose. But on the palate the coffee is definitely noticable, but not overwhelming.

Great Job! Any chance you want to share the recipes?

Chris

Thanks Riverfront! :mug:

I started with the Deception Cream Stout (all grain) as a base:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/deception-cream-stout-141483/

For the coffee stout I added 0.5 oz/gal of decaf coffee beans soaked in vodka (about french press grind) to secondary (2 weeks).

For the rum/oak-infused version I soaked med US toast oak chips in Pyrat rum for a few weeks. For each gallon I added 1.5 oz the soaking rum and 1 oz of chips to secondary (two weeks).

If I did it again I would use a darker rum and wood cubes or spirals.

Latest posts

Back