Belgian Amber Ale - Fat Tire Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
My friends and family are all really pushing me to try and clone fat tire. I don't want to clone it , but I want to tap into what makes it so pallatable. I think it is the malt profile for sure and I think I have a good recipe here, but I am not going to use a neutral yeast so I can give it my own spin. I am going to use Chimay yeast and ferment it in the low 70's. Yeast isn't a problem here, I have a 1 gallon chimay starter that I have been stepping up from 1 quart for a week and a half.

6 gallon batch

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Argentine Cascade [3.70 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU

Mash at 153 or so....

What do you guys think? One thing I was thinking about was making it a tad more belgian by feeding a pound of clear or dark candi sugar into the primary...then I would have more a belgian dubbel with a fat tire..ish grain bill....I want this to be a gateway beer for some folks...so they get that..."wow what is that? This is great!" type of reaction that tasting your first great belgian style ale can give you.

fat tire is not a belgian beer. it is an american amber ale fermented with american ale yeast. I use white labs 001. if you use a chimay yeast you will probably have good beer, but it will taste nothing like fat tire. If you would like to try my fat tire clone recipe, i will post it. it is almost perfect. it took 11 years of tweaking.

fat tire is not a belgian beer. it is an american amber ale fermented with american ale yeast. I use white labs 001. if you use a chimay yeast you will probably have good beer, but it will taste nothing like fat tire. If you would like to try my fat tire clone recipe, i will post it. it is almost perfect. it took 11 years of tweaking.

Blakwaterbrewer,
Any chance you have that in an extract recipe w/specialty grains? I've looked for a good Fat Tire recipe, but most say "It's close". 11 years of tweaking and I bet yours is dead on. :mug:

That would be great! Please post it if you do not mind

No worries guys, this brew, after conditioning properly and with one additon I made to the recipe, is a dead ringer for fat tire.

The only change I made to the grain bill is that I threw a small handfull of chocolate malt into the mash tun with 10 minutes left in the mash. I think this was key to getting that fat tire flavor. I would say maybe .25 oz, if not less of the choco malt.

way cool recipe... Going to have to give this one a try.

Permo, what did you do to condition it properly?
Just curious...

Thanks
Redbeard5289

60 degrees for 6 weeks in the bottle after carbing. I have no doubt that lagering the beer would be nice. For the record I used pacman yeast fermented around 64

Back