Check out this Stainless Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_finklestein

Reaction score
I just received my stainless conical from http://www.conical-fermenter.com and I must say that I am extremly satisfied with the craftmanship! I ordered the 7.3 with the thermowell. First of all it was boxed up really well (see pics below) and second the info sheet provided is very detailed. If there is any flaw what-so-ever, it is the welds on the thermowell are not as clean as the output valves (see pic below). With that said, they are still really good! Plus John was extremly helpfull and answered any questions I had. Here are the pics!

Boxed Up

Fermenter2.jpg

Box was reinforced with ply wood

Fermenter3.jpg

Out of the Box

Fermenter5.jpg

Unpacked!

Fermenter6.jpg

Top Sanitary Outlet

Fermenter7.jpg

Bottom Sanitary Outlet

Fermenter8.jpg

Outlet Welds (Inside)

Fermenter10.jpg

Thermowell Welds (Inside)

Fermenter.jpg

That looks like a really good deal than. looks well constructed and very reasonable price... let us know how it works out.

"NICE"!!:rockin:

That may be my next step... It will make my neighbor happy as I'll probably give him some of my equipment, so he can get started brewing.

First though, I've got to get one of Johns Kettles... :D:D

Great to see the pictures and quality opinions on the work. Sure looks spectacular!

Cheers and Happy brewing:mug:

I keep watching these on eBay. Haven't quite figured out why people bid them up higher than the web-site price; maybe it's the thrill of competition, but I digress.

I've got this internal debate going over whether to get the thermowell so I'm looking for input. I always ferment in my basement storage area, which maintains about 68-70 degrees year-round. Typically reds, IPAs, Stouts. If I lager (which is rarely) it will be in a temp controlled environment, so when does the thermometer come into play? What kind of brewing scenarios mandate that precise a level of temperature monitoring, and what would you be doing with the fermenter that would control it?

I have a thermowell in my fermenter. Rarely varies more than a degree from outside wall of metal keg. Now that I have proven that to myself I would have no need for it in any future fermenter. And if you have no way to control temperature (fridge or chamber of some kind) then it would be of little use.

I keep watching these on eBay. Haven't quite figured out why people bid them up higher than the web-site price; maybe it's the thrill of competition, but I digress.

I've got this internal debate going over whether to get the thermowell so I'm looking for input. I always ferment in my basement storage area, which maintains about 68-70 degrees year-round. Typically reds, IPAs, Stouts. If I lager (which is rarely) it will be in a temp controlled environment, so when does the thermometer come into play? What kind of brewing scenarios mandate that precise a level of temperature monitoring, and what would you be doing with the fermenter that would control it?

In my opinion, all fermentations benefit from precise control.

Taping a probe to the side, IMO, is probably just as good as a thermowell, or nearly so. Especially if the thermowell is not sanitary (polished surface). The thermowell is a convenience though as you don't have to go through rules of painter's tape and bubble wrap.

As for what would control it? A fridge/freezer, a heat source if necessary, and a digital temp controller (love, ranco, johnson, BCS, whatevs).

Did you have any issues dumping the trub or yeast? I was wondering if the bottom valve clogged easily. it's 3/4", right?

That looks like a great fermenter and stainless for the price of a plastic mini-brew. Will have to keep my eye on these.

275 plus freight for the conical without the thermometer.
330 with freight and with a thermometer.

Did the mini brew conical's go up in price? I only paid 150 each at the local home brew shop for both of my mini brew conical's.

Edit: Bakins,
FWIW My mini brews have a 3/4" drain on the bottom and I have never had a clog.

Then the chances are 50/50. I brought a jointer/planer across that I picked up from Grizzly in Pennsilvania that was made in China. They never even asked...no duties!

I called the duty is 6% of it is made in china and ships from the US. If its made in China and ships from China it's 3%. I would have never called that one

I've read their site and it don't say where the stuff is made, unless I missed it. I like the looks of their stuff. Really like the looks of their kettle's. Be nice to know if they are made in USA,

I've read their site and it don't say where the stuff is made, unless I missed it. I like the looks of their stuff. Really like the looks of their kettle's. Be nice to know if they are made in USA,

Considering the owner said* the factory was off for Chinese new-year, I'm guessing they are made in China.

(*I emailed about some possible modifications and that was in his answer.)

Ordered my 7.3g without thermowell yesterday! I can't wait! Getting tired of the carboys.

Without being any kind of a jerk........can I ask why everyone is so excited about this guys equipment?

The kettle is nothing more then a keegle. If you like the cone shaped bottom, then don't put in a dip tube. IIRC the dimensions are even close to a keegle.

Short of the fermentors being polished (poorly IMO) they don't even have sanitary ball valves. Also IIRC they are twice the cost of a mini brew conical. I am sorry I just don't understand why everyone is excited over this equipment. The welds IMO look like sh#$.

Please understand I am not bashing in any way here. I just would like to know. Maybe I should get into the business.

Edit: At these prices are they even passivated? Or is it just a shop welding these things up and then throwing on a polish job?

Without being any kind of a jerk........can I ask why everyone is so excited about this guys equipment?

The kettle is nothing more then a keegle. If you like the cone shaped bottom, then don't put in a dip tube. IIRC the dimensions are even close to a keegle.

Short of the fermentors being polished (poorly IMO) they don't even have sanitary ball valves. Also IIRC they are twice the cost of a mini brew conical. I am sorry I just don't understand why everyone is excited over this equipment. The welds IMO look like sh#$.

Please understand I am not bashing in any way here. I just would like to know. Maybe I should get into the business.

Edit: At these prices are they even passivated? Or is it just a shop welding these things up and then throwing on a polish job?

I think there are two different suppliers discussed in this thread. Which are you talking about

Back