Something Chocolaty, creamy and sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
Looking for a stout recipe that is both chocolaty, creamy, and sweet.

Kind of like a dessert beer...a chocolate milk kind of beer. Something that hides the alcohol well...that you wouldn't notice too much until you already had too many. LOL

Anyone have a recipe like that?

Preferably an extract, but I am more than comfortable steeping specialty grains etc.

I have a good one in my dropdown, but it's more of a bitter chocolate than sweet. Maybe use it as a jumping off point, add a little lactose and see what you can create?

I have a good one in my dropdown, but it's more of a bitter chocolate than sweet. Maybe use it as a jumping off point, add a little lactose and see what you can create?

How much lactose would you think to add, and when?
15 mins from the end of the boil?

Care to elaborate? :cross:

Double quantity of debittered chocklate in a typical russian Imperial stout base. If you are extract, I'd look at the BB RIS kit and add enough debittered chocolate to double the chocolate addition. The final result should have a LOT of chocolate malt presence and a residual sweetness that isn't cloying.

If you were to do a PM or full AG, I'd add Oats to the grist to get some of that silken quality. Shouldn;t be any need for lactose in a RIS to get the sweetness.

Looking through the recipe section, many folks use up to a pound of lactose late in the boil for a sweet stout. It'd be up to your taste how much. My recipe is bitter on top of bitter, which is how I like it, so a pound might not be too much.

So I'm sitting here drinking a Young's Double Chocolate Stout....and here's what I am thinking:

A) For what I'm looking for, this beer has too much roasty notes to it.
B) Is not nearly chocolatey enough. Thinking more of a milk chocolate than a bitter chocolate would be good.
C) Is not NEARLY sweet enough.

I'm really looking to make a dessert stout. Not a session beer...just something you grab a pint of when you're feeling like something sweet.

Thoughts?

Find yourself a good sweet stout recipe (hint... a sweet stout won BOS in the HBT BJCP competition and the recipe has been posted) and add some cocoa and maybe a touch more lactose to the recipe.

I made my chocolate stout recipe after having a Youngs, but while I agree that I wanted more chocolate, I didn't want it as sweet as Youngs'. :D

Find yourself a good sweet stout recipe (hint... a sweet stout won BOS in the HBT BJCP competition and the recipe has been posted) and add some cocoa and maybe a touch more lactose to the recipe.

I made my chocolate stout recipe after having a Youngs, but while I agree that I wanted more chocolate, I didn't want it as sweet as Youngs'. :D

Woah...you think Young's is sweet?

I'm talking I'm looking for a chocolate milk with alcohol kind of sweet. LOL

Woah...you think Young's is sweet?

I'm talking I'm looking for a chocolate milk with alcohol kind of sweet. LOL

If they sold a 100% dark chocolate bar, I'd eat it. I like to eat cocoa nibs. :D Can't get too dark and bitter for me when it comes to my chocolate.

If they sold a 100% dark chocolate bar, I'd eat it. I like to eat cocoa nibs. :D Can't get too dark and bitter for me when it comes to my chocolate.

Don't get me wrong, I love dark chocolate as well my friend. :cross:

I'm just looking for something ultra sweet and not bitter at all. Big chocolate blast. I can't explain it better then essentially I want a Chocolate Quik beer. LOL :rockin:

I hope someone out there had the same desire and came up with a good recipe!

Like I said. Go for the sweet stout recipe and chocolate it up. Something like a Snowplow milk stout with cocoa.

Are there any good sweet brews I could buy to see if I like them?

So I don't make a total batch of something I'm not even looking for?

Try Rogue's Mocha Porter. or maybe Breckenridge Brewery's Vanilla Porter for sweetness. Xingu is a black beer that is also very sweet. These are all really sweet and quite desert-y type beers. However, you will need to add chocolate for that flavor (although they have that tinge on their own). I'd say

Have you had Left Hand's Milk Stout? It's pretty sweet, and the link posted earlier was for a clone of that beer.

Have you had Left Hand's Milk Stout? It's pretty sweet, and the link posted earlier was for a clone of that beer.

I have not been able to find a milk stout..ANYWHERE. I even asked at my local packy that has over 400 microsbrews in singles...and the owner looked at me like I had sprouted a second head.

Very frustrating.

I picked up a Rogues Chocolate Stout tonight after various glowing reviews.

The commonality on this beer was that it was sweet, chocolaty, and creamy.
Well...it was none of those things.

Was it perhaps because I was literally expecting it to taste like chocolate milk like some reviews had said? Or because I expected too much from it?

I don't know how people can claim it's sweet. It's more bitter than anything. At 69 IBU's...it tasted like an average stout. The chocolate came through a bit more than Young's Double Chocolate...while all together a fantastic stout..it wasn't what I was looking for.

This entire process is getting frustrating, I can't find ANY milk chocolate flavor beers. Like an ice-wine, I'm looking for a beer you can have with your dessert..I don't want roast, coffee flavors...I want sweet...milk chocolate...smooth flavor.

this is NOT my recipe and I do not have the brewer's name to give him credit but something I found and copied and am getting ready to brew next week. was looking for the same thing chocolate and sweet.

EDI: found the recipe it is one of BierMuncher's recipes.

Black Pearl Porter (AG)
Original gravity 1.069
Final gravity 1.017
Alcohol (by volume) 6.7%
Bitterness (IBU) 8
Color (SRM) 30.9°L

ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Fuggles [4.52%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20%] (2 min)

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
4.00 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min)

1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.00 lb
Mash In Add 4.06 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Add 2.50 gal of water at 206.7 F 175.0 F 15 min

Primary 1 Week (60 Degrees)
Secondary 10 Days (60 Degrees)
Kegged and Force Carbed or Primed and Bottled

This was a very good, very rich Porter. Nice sweetness and great mouthfeel. Friends who shy away from Stout loved this milder (but creamier) dark beer.

Not sure when it comes out, but idmer Brothers Snow Plow would be a good one to try.

When you go asking for a milk stout, also ask for a cream stout or sweet stout. That might help.

this is NOT my recipe and I do not have the brewer's name to give him credit but something I found and copied and am getting ready to brew next week. was looking for the same thing chocolate and sweet.

Black Pearl Porter (AG)
Original gravity 1.069
Final gravity 1.017
Alcohol (by volume) 6.7%
Bitterness (IBU) 8
Color (SRM) 30.9°L

ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons

This was a very good, very rich Porter. Nice sweetness and great mouthfeel. Friends who shy away from Stout loved this milder (but creamier) dark beer.

VERY interested to know how this comes out. Missing the roasted...I like that. I don't want a roasty or coffee flavor in this beer.

ChshreCat, I will keep my eye out for it, for sure. I did ask for a sweet stout as well. Got the same result from the owner. LOL

Try Mackeson's XXX, it should be pretty readily available, it's from England but I can find it at any good beer bar or liquor store.

I have an award winning recipe in my drop down for a chocolate stout. It's full bodied, super chocolaty and has no real roast flavor, but it is very bitter. You could take my recipe and use carafa instead of roasted barley, and bump up the lactose to a pound and it should be what you're looking for.

Try Mackeson's XXX, it should be pretty readily available, it's from England but I can find it at any good beer bar or liquor store.

I have an award winning recipe in my drop down for a chocolate stout. It's full bodied, super chocolaty and has no real roast flavor, but it is very bitter. You could take my recipe and use carafa instead of roasted barley, and bump up the lactose to a pound and it should be what you're looking for.

Most excellent! I'll look for the Mackeson's XXX, and check out your recipe!

Here's a recipe I just bottled last week -- i brewed it as a last batch before my bulk shipment of cheap hops came from hopsdirect.

It was raining and i couldn't fight the urge to brew up a batch, but didn't want to waste money on full price LHBS hops, so I tried to stretch just 1oz n.brewers for a whole oatmeal/milk stout recipe.

Upon tasting the stuff, my thoughts were that I had made my first unsuccessful batch because it was:

TOO SWEET!
NOT BITTER ENOUGH!
and TOO CHOCOLATY!

Otherwise it's not bad. Stumbled upon your post and thought it was really funny that it seems like this is exactly what you're looking for -- that is, my complaints are what you seem to be seeking.

Disclaimer: I'm new to brewing (all extract + steep specialty grains -- 5 original batches), so take this advice with that in mind. . . I might use this as some points for consideration, but not necessarily copy the recipe verbatim, ya dig?

Good luck, cheers!

Rainy Day Oatmeal Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.25
Anticipated OG: 1.075 Plato: 18.12
Anticipated SRM: 42.7
Anticipated IBU: 26.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG 15.55 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
43.2 4.00 lbs. Briess DME- Amber America 1.046 13
32.4 3.00 lbs. Briess DME- Gold America 1.046 8
5.4 0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
5.4 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
5.4 0.50 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
5.4 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
2.7 0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 6.00 19.7 60 min.
0.25 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 6.00 6.6 60 min.

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

I ended up with 1.074 SG and 1.025 FG in reality BTW, and actually boiled only ~2.8 gal wort rather than the full 5 gal so the bitterness is even lower!

See if you can fine a "Bison Choc. stout. by far the best stout of that kind that i've had. I like it better than the left hand milk stout but it's a little different kind of beer.

Rogues Chocolate Stout is bitter - their mocha porter less so. You want something as sweet as a milkshake? Find a recipe for Xingu and keep adding lactose until you feel like it's sweet enough. I've made some very sweet beers, and I don't think anything has been nearly as sweet as a desert wine. Perhaps skip the hops? Maybe make a chocolate mead?

EDI: found the recipe it is one of BierMuncher's recipes.

Black Pearl Porter (AG)
Original gravity 1.069
Final gravity 1.017
Alcohol (by volume) 6.7%
Bitterness (IBU) 8
Color (SRM) 30.9°L

ALL GRAIN - 5 Gallons

Any recent feedback on this recipe? Sounds great and I'm very tempted to brew it up this week.

Any recent feedback on this recipe? Sounds great and I'm very tempted to brew it up this week.

Sorry did not see the question until today. wife and friends love the recipe and do not want to change it. for me I would cut back the lactose some. this is the only porter/dark beer my wife will drink.

Back