Resurrection of a well aged Whiskey Barrel Kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foamenter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I recently started working on a kegerator that my grandfather built about 30 years ago. It has been in a barn for about 20 years, and needed a little updating. I hope to have it completed in the next couple weeks.

I've posted pics on flikr, since I can't yet put img tags on HBT. Any feedback would be appreciated.

When it's done, I'll put a couple cornies in it, and I have a double faucet tower to put on top. I've got a single tower too, for when I need to serve a 1/2 barrel.

(If anyone has used 2-part liquid expanding polyurethane foam and has pointers, let me know. I plan on pouring tomorrow, if the weather is warm enough.)

That is exceptional, I'm really very jealous! I wish my grandfather had kept some of the old whiskey barrels he used to make cider in, this would have been a fun project to try and duplicate.

Hah, I have a old whiskey barrel and was wanting to the do same thing, but I just don't have the money for a cool project. Good luck though!

careful with the expanding foam. you will have to do it in stages. do not try to do that all at once. the top will cure, the middle will stay wet, and with temperature changes will slowly expand and eventually buckle/break

i would fill no more than say 6-12 inches at a time, let it cure over night, and repeat until full. this will add a couple days to the build, but you will be happy in the long run.

also make sure the seams in the wood keg are sealed, or it will find its way out of them. you could duct tape them from the inside.

Well, I've poured the insulation. It went pretty well. The initial pour went into the back side of the cold box, and seeped around the ducts into the main chamber, as I thought it would.

It didn't flow evenly, however, and ended up shifting the liner about a 1/2" off center. Oh well.

The subsequent pours filled it about 3/4 of the way, and I finished off with Great Stuff. I used the big gaps filler version, and filled in a layer at a time, about 5 layers. I think I got consistent fill with no gaps.

See the pics here(Flikr)

Testing has begun, and now I'm positive the fridge will have the cooling capacity I need.

There are some more pics of the kegerator, with the mess of wires. These show the lid, and some overall pics of the unit.

See them here.

I still need to drill holes for lines, and add the tower. Then it's off to the races! :cross:

Great Stuff takes an hour to expand. This stuff takes a few minutes.(it's hard in 15.)

Here's a video of the type of foam I used.

Yes, it is awesome.:rockin:

I got it at uscomposites.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back