how long is too long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I have one in secondary (AAPA) going on 2 weeks, and it's still bubbling every 10-20 seconds or so. I also have a bunch of dry hop hops sitting in there around the neck of the carboy.

Do I need to get it out of there soon, or is it ok for another week?

Thanks

ahoym8e said:
I have one in secondary (AAPA) going on 2 weeks, and it's still bubbling every 10-20 seconds or so. I also have a bunch of dry hop hops sitting in there around the neck of the carboy.

Do I need to get it out of there soon, or is it ok for another week?

Thanks

get "what" out of "where"? :)

Did you mean "get the beer out of the secondary" or "get the dry hops out of the beer"?

-walker

Walker-san said:
get "what" out of "where"? :)

Did you mean "get the beer out of the secondary" or "get the dry hops out of the beer"?

-walker

LOL yeah, good point. been sampling a bottled project, so sorry.

I have this aapa in a secondary fermenter at about 72 degrees. Do I need to get it out soon at this temp, or is it ok for a while still?

ahoym8e said:
LOL yeah, good point. been sampling a bottled project, so sorry.

I have this aapa in a secondary fermenter at about 72 degrees. Do I need to get it out soon at this temp, or is it ok for a while still?

In general, beer is fine to leave in a secondary for a loooong time. Think in terms of years.

The dry-hopping might make things different. Some people have claimed that leaving the hops in too long (and I don't remember HOW long this means) leads to a grassy flavor in the beer. But, I can neither confirm or deny that.

-walker

I would leave it alone. You have a 2ndary that's still active and therefore the hops still have a job to do. You should be able to go 30 days without any worries. The hops at this point are mostly for aroma.

The grassiness possibility depends on what variety you used. Also how fresh the hops are at hopping. I would think grassiness would be imparted more from a lack of sanitation rather than sitting there too long. There is contamination risk with dry hopping and can be abated with a 5 minute steaming. Like one would do with cauliflower or broccoli if they are whole leaf. Dry pressed - not an issue.

Don't worry about it. Again, I would leave it be, unless the airlock gets clogged. The risk is greater fiddling with it rather than letting it do its thing.

Good Luck!

Leave it alone, unless you keg. Bottling before the fermentation stops is begging for bombs.

Walker-san said:
In general, beer is fine to leave in a secondary for a loooong time. Think in terms of years.

The dry-hopping might make things different. Some people have claimed that leaving the hops in too long (and I don't remember HOW long this means) leads to a grassy flavor in the beer. But, I can neither confirm or deny that.

-walker

ahhhh.... this is a good post for me to get back in the game. i feel rusty. i totally agree with walker and everyone else. we have had an irish ale in a secondary for about 2 months now. i had surgery and spent a lot of time in physical therapy. i can finally walk without my brace, so ive been trying to get back in the beer biz. i tasted the ale last night and it was glorious. youll be fine.

I'm glad this came up, because I needed some reassurance that brewing a batch this month and then leaving it for months would be ok. I'll brew it, get it in the secondary, and leave it until I get home for Christmas vacation. The only bad part is that I won't get to drink it for months!

Back