Possible Bottle Bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sittingturbo

Reaction score
So I did my 3rd batch of my American Pale/Amber Ale... Fits in both categories. Well I didn't pay attention to my log or much less anything and bottled this last batch to early I believe.

My bottling FG was 1.018, no I didn't take readings 3 days apart like I should have... I had 3 batches going at once and got lazy or something.

Anyway, batch has been in bottle 7 days, in typical Southern California weather.
Current temp is 68 degrees or so, was 78 the other day. So beer has normal carbonation, not excess.

But since I am constantly reworking this recipe, I didn't care about bottling at 1.018 for some reason. I decanted a bottle to check to see if I was in trouble of bottle bombs. Still 1.018 maybe 1.017 hard to read since this new hydrometer has a lare scale each mark reads for 2 points. I need to pick up a smaller scale hydrometer when I get the chance.

The predicted FG was supposed to be 1.012 So........ Maybe a stuck fermentation? I know that happens early tho... Maybe not aerated enough?

I did not residual sweetness, very very similar to a Newcastle, I might be able to call this a clone even. I am gonna pick up a 6er later and do a side by side.

So the question is, if the go from 1.018 to 1.012 in the bottle is that enough to blow? Or would they just foam out the top when opened.

I'd rather find an easy place to clean for storage of this batch just in case.

Well, I think you haven't received any answers because we just don't have them!

I mean, if it's stuck and it starts up, yes, you could have a possibility of bottle bombs. But I don't know if the co2 volume you'll get from 1.018 to, say, 1.012 will cause it. Also, with the priming sugar added, you might have bottled at around 1.020 or so. You may have perfect carbonation, too much carbonation, or bottle bombs. I don't think any of us could tell you. It all depends on how much further it will ferment.

And, if you are staying it's as sweet as Newcastle, but it's a pale ale, that probably means it wasn't finished.

What I would do if it was me- I would keep them in boxes at room temperature, and after a week, check one by putting it in the fridge overnight and then trying it. If it's carbed up alot (or at least enough), I'd put them ALL in a cold place.

Okay, sounds like a plan Yooper, I will let them go for another week then cold store. Or drink them really really fast! heheh

Sometimes when you pop the top on a one week old beer, half the beer just foams up out of the bottle. The same beer after two weeks is fine. I guess this advice is absolutley no help at all.

mrk305 said:
Sometimes when you pop the top on a one week old beer, half the beer just foams up out of the bottle. The same beer after two weeks is fine. I guess this advice is absolutley no help at all.

LOL no, it's not, however now your sparked my interest... Why is that? I have never experienced that.

Latest posts

Back