Kettle pickup tube inquiries.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemsonDV

Reaction score
I purchased a bunch of valves and such from bargain fittings so I could make a mash tun and valves BK. however I didn't even think about the pickup tube, and now I am stuck on what I should do, and where I should place my valves. I planned on using a 90 deg bend inside the kettle, but now I am worried that I will have to be really really accurate with my positioning. Anyone have a suggestion? I would love for it to be cheap too:cross:

Different ways to do it.

Can you solder? A copper pickup is easy to put together and you could cut it to fit exactly to your kettle.
Did you select a coupling on the bulkhead kits? If so you could use a male adapter (male npt thread x copper solder fitting) and a copper sweat street 90 with short piece of pipe to make a side pickup.

A 1/2" Stainless 90 and a hose barb works as a side pickup as well.

Generally I suggest people install the valves so that the bulkhead is at least a 1/2" above the bottom inside the kettle when using a coupling inside.
You want to be above the curve of the bottom edge on your kettle to get a good seal and be able to tighten up the fitting inside properly.

If you put a 90 inside and want to be able to to rotate on the bulkhead, you need to be up a little more than 3/4 in from the bottom.

Different ways to do it.

Can you solder? A copper pickup is easy to put together and you could cut it to fit exactly to your kettle.
Did you select a coupling on the bulkhead kits? If so you could use a male adapter (male npt thread x copper solder fitting) and a copper sweat street 90 with short piece of pipe to make a side pickup.

A 1/2" Stainless 90 and a hose barb works as a side pickup as well.

Generally I suggest people install the valves so that the bulkhead is at least a 1/2" above the bottom inside the kettle when using a coupling inside.
You want to be above the curve of the bottom edge on your kettle to get a good seal and be able to tighten up the fitting inside properly.

If you put a 90 inside and want to be able to to rotate on the bulkhead, you need to be up a little more than 3/4 in from the bottom.
Wish I did the 90 street instead of 90 elbow, but maybe adding a hose barb could work. I may just find a temp solution until my next order for you guys.

Latest posts

Back