Carbination for Keezer Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modernsurvival

Reaction score
Okay so we are about to move and my first big project is a keezer for my soon to be garage bar room. Keezers seem very simple to build and I have that all square. Never kegged before, been brewing and doing bottles only for about 18 years and just hate to bottle and love the rest so this seems perfect.

Question though, I am doing a 8 keg keezer and plan to use two 4 keg manifolds, I get all about how that works but was surprised to see that you only control pressure from the main CO2 tank and each branch off the manifold is of equal pressure, for serving this makes sense.

But my understanding of force carbonation is to pressurize the keg at 40psi and leave it for 24 hours, then drop to 20psi for 24 hours then drop to 10psi for serving.

So that is all fine and well but if you are adding a keg to your keezer and already have some kegs going how do you deal with that? Do you keep a seperate hose, tank and gauge just for force carbonation? I mean the other kegs are carbonated and need to stay at 10psi right?

You can just leave the keg hooked up for a week or so at the same pressure as the other kegs and it will eventually carb up. You don't have to use a higher pressure than serving pressure. It will just take a little longer. I also have shut of valves on every line out of my splitter. So, it would be possible to close them off and up the pressure on the one line if you wanted to go for a overpressure approach like you are proposing.

However, I think your 48 hour approach may be overkill. The only time I've force carbed that way, I set the pressure to three times serving pressure for 24 hours and then vented and dropped it back to serving pressure. In that amount of time it was pretty close to proper carbonation.

Thank you so much, the 10psi does it in time approach is good enough for me. My data was from Midwest Brewing as to how to carb a keg. Like I said been making beer for ages but never kegged before so this just seemed like a hole. Waiting for a week in a keg is fine and better then the typical 2 weeks in a bottle or more.

Don't know how much I will post but this is a great forum. I own a forum myself and am happy to contribute to the community when and as I can.

The bar build will be cool in the DIY area, we are going to do it up low tech and big time. I have a 2000 sf garage at our new location, three bays and an area with no bay, we are going to turn that into a good old Texas red neck bar area. No high polished stuff, ruff cut cedar except for the bar top, a pool table, dart boards, TVs on the wall and even a good old fashioned dance floor, sawdust style.

I'll make sure to at least post a thread on that.

Sounds like a nice setup. You're going to love kegging. Yeah, just leave it at serving pressure for a week. You can shake it at that pressure to try and speed it up, like people do when they pump up the pressure and shake the keg for thirty minutes or so to force carbonate it.

Get yourself a dual product regulator and you can serve/carbonate at two different pressures. Right now I have a three tap tower and a three way manifold hooked up to one of my low pressure outputs and a single carbonating output to carbonate with or I can serve a traditional bitters at a low carbonation.

Get yourself a dual product regulator and you can serve/carbonate at two different pressures. Right now I have a three tap tower and a three way manifold hooked up to one of my low pressure outputs and a single carbonating output to carbonate with or I can serve a traditional bitters at a low carbonation.

This is what I am planning for a 4 keg keezer. A dual regulator with one line running to a three-way manifold and the fourth individual line that I can potentially change the serving pressue for a commercial keg or root beer.

Back